“The way all hotels should be”

Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier
Ranked #2 of 42 Hotels in Chesapeake
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed only one night and the only negative I can think of is very loud air-conditioner. I am a light sleeper, but me wife is not. We had to shut it down. After that it was fine and not hot to sleep at all. This is the only reason I do not assign 5 stars.
Location is great, not far from major highways but away in the quiet spot. Plenty of places to eat near by.
Included continental breakfast was very good and I am a big eater.
Would stay again with no hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank redberryphoto

Reviewed September 24, 2011

Our hotel experience with this Hyatt was one of the best I have every had and we travel fairly frequently! The hotel has Euro-modern design, is located in a quiet area of Chesapeake and the staff is wonderful. The rooms were upscale with very comfortable beds, so we got a great night's sleep. The breakfast was tasteful in presentation and freshness. We had booked two nights, but the timing of our daughter's pony club test was altered and we decided to not spend the second night. The staff was very accommodating and let us have a little later check-out after the first night so we could get our luggage out of the room. And with the stress of the trip, I managed to leave a computer item in our room. The manager personally took it to UPS and overnighted it to me, so we had it back the next day! All in all, just a super experience!

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a quiet room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank LetsGoRide
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I adore Hyatt Place hotels. The rooms are a total steal for the price and these properties are modern, spacious and well layed out and always VERR clean, in my experience.

This newer property was perfect for our family mini-vacation to Virginia Beach. About a 10 minute drive to the Boardwalk yet out of the way. Walmart and other shopping/restaurants close by.

No complaints.

1  Thank fashionistamommy
Reviewed September 11, 2011

No complaints and that's a very good thing! Our GPS got us close, but not quite to the front door. It's a newer property so be on the lookout once you near the address. The location is splendid in that there is plenty to do within walking distance. We didn't have a lot of free time, but for the time we had, it was great to stroll out for shopping, fitness center & a movie theater. Dining options nearby span the price range - from deli to japanese steak house. The hotel check-in was efficient and, for the first time ever in my hotel staying history, I was given a CHOICE of rooms. Whoever came up with that idea deserves a promotion! Hotel room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Love, love, love the huge tv (felt like home!) and another first time experience was having available jacks for virtually any kind of electronic hookup imaginable. Small panel, major plus! (bring your own cords, though) Bathrooms are small and non-descript, but a happy compromise for more in-room space. Pool and exercise room are adequate given hotel size. Complimentary breakfast and canteen were efficient and provided excellent options. Here's the thing: there are other moderate-service hotels in the area for $40+ less money per night. The question is how do you value a complaint-free, easy stay? We'll be back, so long as we can make it work with our budget. Good job, Hyatt Place! PS. We left something behind in the room. When we called back to inquire, the item was located in lost/found and promptly mailed back to us ALONG with another item that we didn't realize we'd left. Sweeet!

Room Tip: For our stay, the hotel site offered the lowest rate by $2.
2  Thank LRich
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We reserved two weeks beforehand and luckily secured it with a credit card. I called en route and informed them that we would be late. No problems, they said. When we arrived at 10:30, they informed us we were being "walked" to the Staybridge Suites since the HPC/G was overbooked. When we arrived at the Staybridge Suites we discovered that they had placed us in a SMOKING ROOM! Yes, the room was free, but it was only a step up from sleeping in our car. All of clothes reeked the next day. I will NEVER book with these people again.

3  Thank angrytraveler813
709edenway, General Manager at Hyatt Place Chesapeake/Greenbrier, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Angrytraveler813,

I am very sorry to hear that we did not have a room available for you when you arrived. Occasionally situations arise where we have guests stay another night that we did not expect or a maintenance issue where a room can not be sold. I am not sure of the particular reason why there was not a room for you the night of your arrival but when these instances do occur we try to make the situation as painless as possible for our guests. We pay for any guest that does not have a room one night at a comparable hotel. If we could not honor your reservation we want to make sure that you do not have to pay to stay somewhere else. I am sorry to hear that the hotel you stayed at reeked of smoke. I am sure that if you had stayed at the Hyatt you would have found our rooms comfortable and smoke free as we are a non smoking facility. Once again I apologize that we could not host you and we hope that next time you are in the area you will give us another try.

Reviewed September 8, 2011

I have stayed several times on business travel and you really never know what you are going to get. The very first I stayed here in 2010 I did not have hot water when I took my shower in the morning. I gave them another try and did not have that problem the following time. However, of the 10+ times I have stayed here I have not had hot water 3 times.

You get a free breakfast which is very basic but works. I have ever used the pool but have used the fitness room. It is small! One bike, one elliptical and two treadmills. There are free weights but not a lot of space to use them. They do have a deal with a gym down the road and you can use for free when you show your room key. Definitely do this if you plan on working out at all.

Don't stay here during the summer. AC in the rooms is horrible. Doesn't always work and the fan is LOUD! Good luck sleeping well through that noise. Bathroom is tight, shower is good size but has a weird half door in glass. Most rooms have small closets too that the hangers hit the door when you slide it shut.

You are right across from a 7 eleven which is nice and next to a shopping center with a couple of restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank caribecouple2010
Reviewed September 2, 2011

My family stayed at this hotel at the recommendation of a local friend on our way to the OBX. We were greeted my a very friendly man at check in, which was done efficiently. Our rooms were spacious and clean except for a few long, black hairs in one of the bathrooms. Everything else was spotless. It was very quiet and we all slept well. We left earl yin the morning so we did not have a chance to eat breakfast. I would definitely stay here again if I were in the area. Our GPS did stop while we were still on Crossways Blvd and we couldn't see the hotel over the bushes, so there was a moment where we thought we were lost. Perhaps a sign somewhere along Crossways would be helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011