“Great atmosphere, very good food”
Review of Downtown Grille

Downtown Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Downtown Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd
Description: The Downtown Grille, located on Charlottesville's historic downtown mall, serves only the finest in Midwestern corn-fed beef and fresh seafood. The restaurant has an extensive wine list which has been honored by The Wine Spectator with the Award of Excellence every year since opening in 1999. The Downtown Grille's lovely architecture and warm professional staff lend a superb ambiance to an already exquisite dining experience.
Fulton, Maryland
“Great atmosphere, very good food”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I had a very enjoyable and delicious dinner here. The atmosphere inside is very nice and comfortable. They specialize in steaks but also offer a number of nice seafood entrees. For starters we each had a salad: the mixed greens with sundried cherries was very nice; my husband had the tomato & onion with balsamic vinaigrette and roquefort crumbles. It was good except they were way too heavy with the dressing so you might want to ask for it on the side. I was glad that I had asked for my dressing on the side with my mixed greens salad after I saw how they drowned his. He got the 12 oz. New York Strip which was plentiful and perfectly cooked. He said it was delicious. I had the salmon entree (served over grilled tomatoes with a crab saffron cream sauce) and it was also delicious. They offer a number of side dishes which are meant to be shared. We had the potatoes gratin and it was a very large serving that was more than enough for 2 people. We also shared a chocolate torte dessert which was quite good and quite large enough for 2. Our server was very good; although, we wish he had not taken quite so long to get us our check at the end of the meal.

• Visited May 2013
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Downtown Grille, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you, very happy you enjoyed your meal!!

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Classic US Steakhouse”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very good steakhouse fayre food and wines served in a rather too dimly lit area (atmosphere I was told while struggling to read the menu!), though there are outside tables on the downtown mall for summer days and evenings. Service was rather patronising with our waiter running through his whole "script" in a rather officious manner. Telling usfor example that "au Poivre" means its with a pepper sauce....well I know that and didnt really need telling. We shared an excellent deep fried Calamari starter and then I had the 16 oz NY Strip "au Poivre" and an excellent Seafood Linguini. I asked for the pepper sauce on the siide but when iit came it was smothered all over the steak. The server did spot this after his assistant had served it but a bit too late then, though he did offer to redo it. We both shared a cos lettuce salad but had to send it back as the balsamic dressing seemed a bit musty tasting - though we were assured it was all freshly made it just didnt taste great. Made to feel a bit stupid at this point. They were however replaced without too much more fuss and with different dressings and the second time all was fine. There was an extensive wine list but surprised how few Virginian wines available by the glass when they are making such good wines locally. Other than the above all in all a pretty good meal and at a reasonable price.

Visited May 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Seafood at a steak place”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had dinner at Downtown Grille on a rainy Sunday night in Charlottesville and really enjoyed our experience. It appears to be the sort of place that would specialize in steaks and chops, but we both had really good seafood entrees. The interior seemed reminiscent of an old time upscale steakhouse. Our server Pamela was friendly and efficient and it was a pleasure to dine in her section. For dessert I would recommend either the Chambord chocolate terrine with the lovely fresh berries, or the chocolate mousse torte; we had one of each and our sharing revealed that they were both very good. If we're in town again we'll try their steaks; if they are as good as the seafood dishes we had we certainly won't be disappointed.

Thank you Mark!
Fredericksburg, VA
“Great Steak, Classy Atmosphere”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Part of my visit to Charlottesville last week. My wife and I spent the evening on the downtown mall, and saw what looked like a cozy eatery. We both ordered steak (NY Strip and Steak au Poivre), and on the recommendation of our waiter, a bottle of Italian wine. Dinner was a little slow to appear on the table, but well worth the wait...cooked perfectly. This is the sort of restaurant where you can feel at home with friends, family or colleagues. Really pleasant!

• Visited April 2013
Allison D, Public Relations Manager at Downtown Grille, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you Fred - so glad you came in and enjoyed your experience! Appreciate the nice review.
“Great place to go for a nice steak dinner.”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We discovered this nice restaurant while shopping downtown at the square. It was a wonderful surprise. We were not dressed for an upscale dinner do we sat in the bar area in a booth which was actually very nice. We started with drinks and the crap and beef apps. They were delicious. Everyone ordered their steak which again was perfect. The sides are family style which is a great touch. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. It would be nice for a special occasion or work outing as well.

• Visited April 2013
Allison D, Public Relations Manager at Downtown Grille, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
we're happy you found us and thank you for the nice review!