“Great!!”
Review of Downtown Grille

Downtown Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Downtown Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 553 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd
Description: The Downtown Grille, located on Charlottesville's historic downtown mall, serves only the finest in Midwestern corn-fed beef and fresh seafood. The restaurant has an extensive wine list which has been honored by The Wine Spectator with the Award of Excellence every year since opening in 1999. The Downtown Grille's lovely architecture and warm professional staff lend a superb ambiance to an already exquisite dining experience.
Austin, Texas
“Great!!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I loved everything about this restaurant. The service was great, the food was amazing, but most of all the ambiance was so serene. I've had the Filet Mignon (BEST EVER!) and the I believe I tried a seafood pasta the second time around. I will definitely go back.

Lynchburg, Virginia
“Give credit where credit is due!!!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Heard about this restaurant from a friend that lives in Charlottesville! SO glad that we went!! My wife and I had a nice time away for the weekend and started with a meal at the Downtown Grille. The menu had a nice selection of steak and seafood, prepared with perfection. I ordered the filet and my wife the salmon. Both were prepared perfectly with beautiful presentation. The portions were huge and the sides we ordered (asparagus and potatoes) also came in heaping amounts. The wine list selections must be complimented also. We would like to thank Matt for making us feel special. The food was great, however the service was unforgettable. WELL DONE on all sides!!! Will be back on our next getaway!!!

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Downtown Grill...very very nice”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Best steak I've had in C'ville...great service...extensive wine selection...a bit pricey but well worth it...atmosphere very nice...

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank George M
northern traveler
“Disgusting!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was a completely disgusting experience! Upon entering, the older men in ill-fitting suits had nothing to say! We asked if we could sit in the bar area and they threw the hands to direct us that way. The bartender/ waiter did his job well. Served the food and drink in a timely fashion. Food was appalling and ridiculously costly. Avoid the steaks and most certainly the greasy "au gratin" potatoes with the sliced cheese melted on top! If the two at the front counter have not eaten outside their little paradise, I would encourage them to do so!

Robert S, Owner at Downtown Grille, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I'm the owner and one of the "older men" you referred to as wearing the "ill fitting suits". I apologize if my motioning toward the bar was somehow construed as an act of rudeness. It was certainly not meant to be. I'm also sorry you thought the food was digusting and ricdulously over-priced. As much we try to please all our guests, people have different expectations. I will say in the future it would be nice if you limited your comments to critiquing food and service only. I happen to really love the suit I was wearing!
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“A must try!!!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a great restaurant on the downtown mall. My family and I were really happy with the Downtown Grill: Great food and wine, and excellent service. Will come here again!

• Visited November 2012