“I keep wanting to love this restaurant, but I just don't!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maya Restaurant

Maya Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Maya Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 538 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 7th St. NW
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
“I keep wanting to love this restaurant, but I just don't!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Several of my friends love this restaurant. I have been a number of times, always with the same impression. The service is great and the staff are very friendly. The restaurant has a charming old feel to it. However it is noisy in the inside dining rooms (there is an outdoor seating area that is better in the warm months). The food descriptions sound good, but it just doesn't quite measure up, especially considering the fact that it is quite pricey (around $50 a person, not including tip). Sure, the food is good enough, but it has never risen to the level of excellent in my opinion.

I ate there tonight with a group of friends (and to be fair, the restaurant is the favorite of one of my friends). My steak had a "coffee glaze" on it. The first few bites were tasty, but the glaze did not wear well on my palate, leaving a weird smoky aftertaste. The side dish of some sort of home fry potato had a stale recooked flavor. The broccoli was so over-cooked that I could not eat it. My white bean and kale starter soup however was quite good. The waiter was attentive and pleasant. However, the upstairs dining room was too hot and the floor shook each time a waiter hurried by (both of which may have been a function of where I was seated next to the door to the kitchen). I will go here when someone else suggests it, but I doubt that I would be the moving force to eat here. Too expensive for the rather average quality of the food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Good, but not all it's cracked up to be.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I got rave reviews of this restaurant prior to eating there, and I don't believe they were merited. The food itself is good and well-prepared, but I do not believe the price reflects the value. There was one other party in the restaurant apart from ours and the wait time was astronomical. I would recommend the food, but not the value.

Visited February 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had a 6-yop for dinner there a few months ago. While the food and service was good, we will never go there again. We sat at 6 pm and and 8 pm, we were told it was time to go. They had an 8 pm reservation for the table. you can do that to us but once!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Jeff M
nyc
“Delicious!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Shrimp & Grits & Fried Oysters (appetizers) were both plentiful and outstanding - the grits were out of this world! The ribs were "fall off the bone" tender, the sauce had a nice kick and delicious and the trout was beautifully prepared and luscious.

Friendly laid back atmosphere ... nice choice of well price wines. Next trip to Charlottesville, we will be back!

Go - you will love it!

• Visited January 2013
Connecticut
“Very good supper, relaxed & casual restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Two adults, mid-week drop-in for supper. Friendly welcome, promptly seated. Light level in dining room was very low, throughout the night it seemed as if everyone young and old made the same joke about needing a flashlight to read the menu. Fried pimento cheese balls were a very tasty, peppery start. Great cornmeal-coated oysters went well with the Yuengling (remember to ask for a glass if you don't care to drink from the bottle). For your main you order a dish and two sides. One half-rack very meaty ribs, mac&cheese and cornbread with butter and honey. Sauce on the ribs was sweet, too sweet really but maybe it's to local taste. One generous portion of sliced pork tenderloin, mashed white potato and greens. Peppercorn sauce for the pork was very good, greens were strongly flavored as you'd want them. Servers were attentive and friendly. We thought this was good value for the money.

• Visited January 2013