“Over priced, not senior friendly”
Review of L'etoile - CLOSED

L'etoile
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Owned and operated by Mark and Vickie Gresge since its inception as the "Tea Room Cafe" in August of 1993. Currently we are only a full service catering and special in house events company. We purchase the freshest ingredients from local farmers and infuse them into dishes from the mind of Chef Mark Gresge using French culinary techniques. We also have have spaces for business, bridal, rehearsal and private lunch and dinners. Weather permitting, enjoy our outdoor covered patio.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Went to brunch on a Sunday, with my girl friend and her elderly parents. We had reservations, but they seated our party upstairs, (even though there was plenty of seating downstairs), which was a problem, as both her parents have mobility problems, which was fairly obvious. Upon being seated, I noticed another elderly person, with a walker was seated near us. The staff should have recognized a problem with seating seniors with mobility problems upstairs, but obviously did not. The service was spotty, with the food being average, but the prices being upscale. With Charlottesville being named one of the top places for retirees and all the restaurants in town it would seem that this establishment would be better prepared to deal with elderly customers.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I have never had anything but a great dining experience at L'etoile. So, when our daughter asked to be married at home, we naturally called Vickie Gresge. From our first conversation I knew we had made the right choice. Vickie listened to my vision, prepared a creative menu, happily advised and kindly supported me through the daunting process. Our event was all we hoped for. Our guests enjoyed a delicious dinner prepared on site and were very well taken care of by L'etoile's professional staff. Thank you to Vickie Gresge for an unforgettable evening.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Our favorite in Charlottesville, Tavola, was closed for a private party on a Saturday night. So we walked toward campus looking for a place for dinner. As a monster rain storm approached, we found ourselves in front of L’etoile. It has an attractive, inviting and understated appearance from the street. Inside, it is tastefully decorated and reminded me of many of the French bistros located in old buildings during my time in Paris. We were greeted at the door by an amiable gentleman who quickly took us upstairs to an excellent table suitable for conversation in a quiet nook. The gentleman turned out to also be our waiter. He gave us the day’s specials and provided information on a couple of dishes we were considering. The menu is fairly short but varied and somewhat complicated with a few exotic ingredients. There is also apparently considerable local sourcing. We had fish, steak along with a couple of interesting appetizers and salads. All very well prepared. There is also a pretty good wine list, though we went with the house burgundy and bordeaux, both excellent. The service is friendly, efficient but not at all intrusive. While Tavola remains our first choice, we heartily recommend you give L’etoile a try. It was a welcomed respite from the storm.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

with a French flair. Located in the Starr Hill district of C-ville close to both downtown and the University. Everything I had there was excellent. Try any lamb dish.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Pricey and creative. Deserves an A for effort although not always successful. Perhaps best for lunch.