“Lovely!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Silver Thatch Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlottesville
The Silver Thatch Inn
“Lovely!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

A delight!

Atmosphere and hospitality were a joy. Rooms darling, common area well-curated. Top-notch treatment. Tasty and thoughtful meals.

Highly recommend, particularly for travelers that love b&bs. History-rich.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank lifeisgood160
TPetrovits, Owner at The Silver Thatch Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had a spinal fusion at Martha Jefferson Hospital in February of 2012. It was the third back surgery in less than 14 months. Since I was driving myself to a check-up with my doctor, I looked into staying overnight in Charlottesville to rest my back before returning home. I did a lot of research and found the Silver Thatch Inn. What a blessing it turned out to be! I stayed in the George Washington Room and it was beautiful and the bed was wonderful for my back. Jim was out of town, so I missed the opportunity to meet him; however, I met Terri and she is a wonderful hostess and really went above and beyond to make my stay comfortable and relaxing. Breakfast is served in a beautiful, sunny room and the food was scrumptious. I also got to meet Spike, Terri's sweet-as-could-be dog. In fact, the first night was so wonderful and relaxing, I stayed a second night! The inn is right off of 29 and close to many attractions. I can't wait for my next back check-up and my next visit to the Silver Thatch Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jill M
Thanks so much for your kind words! And don't hesitate to let us know what you'd like to see on your next visit. Send an email directed to 'Terri' with your comments. Thank you!
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We ended up at the Silver Thatch Inn by accident - everything else was booked the weekend we wanted to go to Charlottesville because UVA was having its annual reunion weekend. Boy did we luck out. The Silver Thatch is run by owners Jim and Terri Petrovits and is the oldest B & B in the area. The place reeks of history. It's about a 15 minute easy drive from Market Street, the pedestrian mall and UVA, so it's not in the heart of town. However, to us, that was a good thing. It's in a peaceful, quiet neighborhood; we were lulled to sleep every night by crickets and tree frogs. The pillow top mattresses are amazingly comfortable - the three nights I spent at the Inn were the bests nights of sleep I had all year. In the morning each day we were treated to a first class breakfast. The first morning we had excellent Eggs Benedict and potatoes; the second day there was fresh fruit and buckwheat waffles with bananas and pecans. If there is a better breakfast anywhere, I haven't had it. Little touches like cookies, fresh water bottles in your room every day, and oversized, soft bath towels abound. We had two rooms, both of them exceptionally clean and roomy. I could not have been happier with our stay.

Room Tip: We didn't have kids with us, but there is a community pool right down the road. There is no fit...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LMtraveler
Thank you so much! Be sure to send us an email with your thoughts for improving our service directed to 'Terri.' We grow because of you, our guests. Much appreciated!
Northampton, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was our second stay at the Silver Thatch. The Inn is in beautiful condition and the innkeepers welcoming and warm. The breakfast room is sunny and breakfast was wonderful. The inn has been encroached upon by suburbia, but it is still a quiet oasis. Our room had perfect climate control when it was sticky and warm outside, comfortable bed, and good reading lights. We slept really well. This will remain "our place" in Charlottesville.

The restaurant is closed, Jim and Terri are looking for someone to operate it. Not a problem for us.

Room Tip: Each one is different. Chat with the innkeepers.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TPetrovits, Owner at The Silver Thatch Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us - again! And so appreciate your kind words. Makes us feel like we're succeeding at what we love to do! Trying to maintain the feel of an Inn with the rapid growth around us in Hollymead has certainly been a challenge, that's for sure. But we've grown to love our neighborhood, and hopefully guests will appreciate that they can enjoy an early morning walk or run along the paths and to Hollymead Lake, or just enjoy a quiet morning coffee on the patio away from the hustle & bustle of the city. We'll see you next time!
eastcoast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

If you are looking for a comfortable inn, welcoming hosts, fantastic breakfasts, beautiful and charming setting, Then this is the place to stay,
We stayed here graduation weekend and my husband and I couldn't have picked a better place in Charlottesville,
Terri and Jim are wonderful innkeepers and you feel it the minute you walk through the front door,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much! We appreciate reviews both complimentary and constructive, and pay attention to every one. We try to make every stay a wonderful and memorable experience, and reviews like this one make us feel like we've received an 'A' on our report card. Thank you!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had been staying at Silver Thatch for many years, but not recently. I was thrilled to find that the Inn is in perfect shape, with host-owners Terri and Jim thoughtful, welcoming and warm-hearted. The property has been extremely well-maintained and my room had everything that I could possibly have wanted.

I had planned my two-night stay as a getaway ffrom recent months of family medical problems, now resolved. Silver Thatch turned out to be the perfect choice

Room Tip: The Tyler Room, which I had chosen, is in the separate annex, just steps away from the main Inn buid...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much!
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Having had a one night visit many years ago, I vowed I would someday return and bring my husband to experience the charm and warmth of the Silver Thatch Inn. We did just that recently and it was still as magical as my first visit. Innkeepers, Jim and Terri, made our stay very special. We love the fact that once settled in, there is no reason to leave, as their dinner setting was beautiful and the food and portions quite exceptional. This time we wanted an elegant candle-lit dinner in front of the fireplace. On our next visit I think we will try their cozy pub for a change of pace. We highly recommend this historical inn that we think is the "best of the best" in VA.

Room Tip: We loved the Harrison presidential room. Although a bit small it had a lovely working fireplace and...
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple