The Silver Thatch Inn
Omni Charlottesville(Charlottesville)
$219
$169
  • Pool
Hampton Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$137
$125
Hyatt Place Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$176
$169
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$114
The English Inn of Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$139
UVA Inn at Darden(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$116
Homewood Suites by Hilton Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$144
Hotels.com
Sleep Inn & Suites Monticello(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$112
$102
SleepInn
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$153
$129
Boar's Head Resort(Charlottesville)
$165
All reviewsjefferson roomsmall pubhomemade sausagecomplimentary glass of winewonderful anniversarypastry chefthe main housefantastic bed and breakfastsurrounding neighborhoodcozy settingfirst morninghistoric charlottesvillerooms are lovelybreakfast is servedeach morningsized bedenjoyable stay
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I booked one night at the Inn based on the reviews. This is one of the only times that I feel a bit like TripAdvisor has let me down. I wouldn't stay at this Inn again. The location is off the beaten path and very cozy, which I loved. There are two buildings and we stayed in the John Tyler room. It looks perfectly charming in the photograph. However, it's more like a run down Holiday Inn room inside...and for $200 a night!! I didn't feel like the room was clean--the upkeep was severely lacking. I didn't particularly even want to shower there. The air conditioner was an extremely loud wall unit--in this area you definitely need AC but I hated to turn it on because then I couldn't hear myself think! The carpet was an old, tattered green. I don't go out of my way looking for problems in B&Bs (sometimes I see photos on TA and can't believe how people go out of their way to do things like take photos under the sink or that sort of thing) however this room screamed Holiday Inn (or worse) to me. The carpet wasn't even nailed down properly. Breakfast was fine. The innkeeper, Teri, was friendly enough and busy running around serving everyone. We were all at separate tables in the restaurant. It became obvious to my husband and I that the innkeepers' first love is the restaurant, not the B&B. Breakfast was delicious. No choices were involved, but we had a delicious belgian waffle (among other courses). I saw the menu for the restaurant (they serve dinners) and it seemed fine but over priced with a bowl of "fancy" pasta going for more than $20. On our way out, we walked by the man who I am sure was the owner, Jim, and he continued talking to the staff member next to him rather than acknowledging us. (We understood from Teri that Jim was the breakfast cook and based on this man's age/attire we thought it was him.) We walked by several times back and forth and he didn't say anything. So, although this wouldn't be enough to make me stay/not stay again it was just one more little thing that added up to create this feeling of discontent as a whole. All of this stood out particularly since we'd come from the prettiest, friendliest B&B ever located in Asheville. Overall, between the steep price and the less than stellar room, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Loves_Travel_CA
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Jim and I absolutely love being Innkeepers and love meeting so many wonderful guests from all over the world. We also very much appreciate constructive comments and take them to heart and strive for improvement, but we don't wait for comments to make improvements to the Inn. The Tyler Room is a favorite room of guests, and would never be thought of as a Holiday Inn. Jim and I re-tiled & remodeled the bath outselves about 5 years ago so everything is fairly new. The heating unit is a Carrier and one of the best. While it is about 10 years old, it is not horribly loud, but neither is it completely silent. The carpet is also about 10 years old, is not tattered, and was recently shampooed. The chairs were recently reupholstered, and this past weekend new window treatments were installed. The Inn is a package of B&B and dining. We decided from experience not to have communal seating for breakfast, nor to require that grace be said as many B&Bs do. We have found that guests will talk with each other if they wish, or they may enjoy their coffee and paper quietly. We are a fine dining restaurant as the majority of our guests enjoy this level of service, food, wine and spirits. Jim and I are extremely proud of our staff, our food and our Inn. I'm so sorry you chose not to have dinner with us. You missed a great opportunity to experience truly good cuisine! And just yesterday, June 26, Jim & I completed the remodeling of the Sunroom breakfast room installing new wood flooring, repainting, & new window treatments will arrive soon. Terri Petrovits, Owner

Reviewed May 6, 2012

My wife and I just came back from our weekend stay at the B&B and it was a great, relaxing with exceptional gourmet food.We loved meeting Terri and Jim. They are wonderful!
Our stay was just wonderful!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Had a great time staying at the Silver Thatch Inn! The innkeepers were extremely accommodating. We had breakfast there two days and it was phenomenal. Eggs benedict, fresh fruit with lemon cream and granola. Just to name a few. The owners are chefs so it makes the experience extra special. We had a great dinner for four at the inn also. They have a cute little pub called Iggys. We enjoyed some of the local micro brews and Virginia wines. If you go you can't miss a tour of Monticello and there a some great wineries too. We loved Barboursville!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susieq9Hampstead
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed at this Inn just one night (unfortunately!).
We loved everything in it, the charming of the common areas, the welcoming room that we had, the service and the wondeful breakfast. Unfortunately when we arrived we already had a late lunch, so we couldn't enjoy the dinner.
The morning after, talking with other guests, we realized what we missed: a wonderful experience.
Terri, the owner, couldn't be more helpful, she really opened us the door of Charlotteville.
The sad thing was to leave, but we will definitely come back,

Claudio & Roberta

Room Tip: The Washington room is very charming
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I had planned a surprise trip for my wife's birthday and we stayed at this quaint and beautiful inn. The accommodations were great (we took over 2 rooms in the cottage) and the food was excellent. The owners could not have been nicer and we felt very welcome. Unfortunately, we could only stay one night. We will definitely be back. We're still dreaming about the buckwheat pancakes! Fantastic B&B.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family