“Wonderful Stay for our Sister's Reunion!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Silver Thatch Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlottesville
The Silver Thatch Inn
Rochester, NY
“Wonderful Stay for our Sister's Reunion!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

First off, Teri is one of the hardest working people I know. Starting with breakfast and continuing throughout the day, she handles all details making sure that any possible need one has is met. From the welcoming complimentary glass of wine, to the wonderfully comfortable beds and luxurious linens, we were able to relax and enjoy our reunion. And, having just read another review, I can say that our room, Zachary Taylor, had a whisper quiet heat pump with an easy to negotiate remote to keep the room perfectly cooled. And, though I also found Jim more stand-offish, he cooks breakfast, dinner and in between, I believe he was doing most of the renovation work on their porch area, so perhaps it had more to do with exhaustion than a lack of warmth. and, truth be told, I am not looking for the company of anyone but my loved ones when I travel. This place is truly a great find! We will be back for future reunions.

Room Tip: Zachary Taylor has 2 Queen beds, so you can split the room cost with a sister or travel companion.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at The Silver Thatch Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you so much! Feedback is greatly appreciated, positive and constructive. We hope you had a great time with your family!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

I booked one night at the Inn based on the reviews. This is one of the only times that I feel a bit like TripAdvisor has let me down. I wouldn't stay at this Inn again. The location is off the beaten path and very cozy, which I loved. There are two buildings and we stayed in the John Tyler room. It looks perfectly charming in the photograph. However, it's more like a run down Holiday Inn room inside...and for $200 a night!! I didn't feel like the room was clean--the upkeep was severely lacking. I didn't particularly even want to shower there. The air conditioner was an extremely loud wall unit--in this area you definitely need AC but I hated to turn it on because then I couldn't hear myself think! The carpet was an old, tattered green. I don't go out of my way looking for problems in B&Bs (sometimes I see photos on TA and can't believe how people go out of their way to do things like take photos under the sink or that sort of thing) however this room screamed Holiday Inn (or worse) to me. The carpet wasn't even nailed down properly. Breakfast was fine. The innkeeper, Teri, was friendly enough and busy running around serving everyone. We were all at separate tables in the restaurant. It became obvious to my husband and I that the innkeepers' first love is the restaurant, not the B&B. Breakfast was delicious. No choices were involved, but we had a delicious belgian waffle (among other courses). I saw the menu for the restaurant (they serve dinners) and it seemed fine but over priced with a bowl of "fancy" pasta going for more than $20. On our way out, we walked by the man who I am sure was the owner, Jim, and he continued talking to the staff member next to him rather than acknowledging us. (We understood from Teri that Jim was the breakfast cook and based on this man's age/attire we thought it was him.) We walked by several times back and forth and he didn't say anything. So, although this wouldn't be enough to make me stay/not stay again it was just one more little thing that added up to create this feeling of discontent as a whole. All of this stood out particularly since we'd come from the prettiest, friendliest B&B ever located in Asheville. Overall, between the steep price and the less than stellar room, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Loves_Travel_CA
, Owner at The Silver Thatch Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Jim and I absolutely love being Innkeepers and love meeting so many wonderful guests from all over the world. We also very much appreciate constructive comments and take them to heart and strive for improvement, but we don't wait for comments to make improvements to the Inn. The Tyler Room is a favorite room of guests, and would never be thought of as a Holiday Inn. Jim and I re-tiled & remodeled the bath outselves about 5 years ago so everything is fairly new. The heating unit is a Carrier and one of the best. While it is about 10 years old, it is not horribly loud, but neither is it completely silent. The carpet is also about 10 years old, is not tattered, and was recently shampooed. The chairs were recently reupholstered, and this past weekend new window treatments were installed. The Inn is a package of B&B and dining. We decided from experience not to have communal seating for breakfast, nor to require that grace be said as many B&Bs do. We have found that guests will talk with each other if they wish, or they may enjoy their coffee and paper quietly. We are a fine dining restaurant as the majority of our guests enjoy this level of service, food, wine and spirits. Jim and I are extremely proud of our staff, our food and our Inn. I'm so sorry you chose not to have dinner with us. You missed a great opportunity to experience truly good cuisine! And just yesterday, June 26, Jim & I completed the remodeling of the Sunroom breakfast room installing new wood flooring, repainting, & new window treatments will arrive soon. Terri Petrovits, Owner
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

My wife and I just came back from our weekend stay at the B&B and it was a great, relaxing with exceptional gourmet food.We loved meeting Terri and Jim. They are wonderful!
Our stay was just wonderful!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampstead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

Had a great time staying at the Silver Thatch Inn! The innkeepers were extremely accommodating. We had breakfast there two days and it was phenomenal. Eggs benedict, fresh fruit with lemon cream and granola. Just to name a few. The owners are chefs so it makes the experience extra special. We had a great dinner for four at the inn also. They have a cute little pub called Iggys. We enjoyed some of the local micro brews and Virginia wines. If you go you can't miss a tour of Monticello and there a some great wineries too. We loved Barboursville!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susieq9Hampstead
Camden, ME
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed at this Inn just one night (unfortunately!).
We loved everything in it, the charming of the common areas, the welcoming room that we had, the service and the wondeful breakfast. Unfortunately when we arrived we already had a late lunch, so we couldn't enjoy the dinner.
The morning after, talking with other guests, we realized what we missed: a wonderful experience.
Terri, the owner, couldn't be more helpful, she really opened us the door of Charlotteville.
The sad thing was to leave, but we will definitely come back,

Claudio & Roberta

Room Tip: The Washington room is very charming
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
franklin, new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

I had planned a surprise trip for my wife's birthday and we stayed at this quaint and beautiful inn. The accommodations were great (we took over 2 rooms in the cottage) and the food was excellent. The owners could not have been nicer and we felt very welcome. Unfortunately, we could only stay one night. We will definitely be back. We're still dreaming about the buckwheat pancakes! Fantastic B&B.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

We went last night after a friend recommended the restaurant. We were the only two people in the restaurant, you'd normally consider a bad sign. Even though we were wary we ended up blissful and greatly surprised about the quality we just received. What a fantastic dinner. In Charlottesville there are many many excellent restaurants but this one did stick out that I had no choice but to leave this review. Our waiter Peter was great, very professional and personable - really one that mastered his profession. The restaurant is charming, romantic, unique and traditional.
The food was unique and had complex but down to earth taste. We had the sweetbreads, scallops, duck and the lamb shank. Each one of those dishes exceeded our high expectations. The sweetbreads were amazing, gravy the best I ever had reminding me of something you would serve with wild game. I am from the south of Germany and used to dream about the traditional gravy I am missing from my home country.
Duck is one of our favorite dishes and this entree exceeded the fabulous duck dishes we order in Paris. My husband said it was the best most tender duck he ever ordered. The lamb shank was perfect, fall of the bone buttery taste with a glaze that leaves you wanting more. The jumbo scallops were in fact jumbo and perfectly cooked (which his hard enough with scallops). My husband and I kept exchanging bites as we both kept wanting more of our own and the other ones dish. The only thing that would have kept me from writing this review is to keep this the hidden gem it is.
We did order dessert as well, peanut butter cake with ice cream which was good, but didn't reach to the quality and excellence of the other dishes. I believe we made the wrong dessert choice and the other dessert options like the apple bread pudding would have been much better.
The one drawback you might encounter is that it does take time to prepare those meals. If you look to get in and out in an hour, it might be the wrong restaurant and wrong quality you are looking for.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple