“Home away from home.”
Review of Clifton Inn

Clifton Inn
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Brisbane, Australia
“Home away from home.”
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I stayed at the Clifton Inn for several days in November 2010 as part of a larger trip to the United States. Unfortunately, I was sick for the entire trip with a very bad flu but the staff at the Clifton Inn were exceptional and I'm sure my time there contributed to my recovery.

I stayed in the Thomas Mann Randolph room which was large, decorated beautifully, and had a gorgeous view over the front lawn and surrounding mountains. When I arrived on the first evening, the bed had already been turned down, soft waltz music was playing on the CD player in the room, and it felt like I had walked into a sanctuary after a harrowing few days of sickness and hospitalization in Washington D.C. Everything was clean, comfortable, and cozy. That particular room also has a bathroom accessed via a small private staircase which contains a beautiful antique claw foot bath (in addition to the large shower). A lovely touch!

The chef was kind enough to make me special meals of chicken soup (delicious) and the rest of the staff went the extra mile to make my stay there feel like home away from home. Of all the hotels I stayed in while I was in the United States (including other luxury hotels) the Clifton Inn was, without question, the highlight of the trip. I only wish I had been well enough to see more of the local area. If I was ever in the area again, I would definitely make a return visit. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stay at a lot of B&B's and this one is tops! Like other Relais and Chateaux properties the staff here thinks of everything! From the touches in the room - personal hand written welcome greetings in your room on arrival, home made cookies when you leave in a box, and home made mints on the pillow, fruit in the rooms, Bose sound system with great CD's, bottled water by the bed, the treats and great service never seems to stop!!!! When we were up in the room drinking champagne I called down for some fruit. 2 minutes later we had strawberries, rasberries, sliced bananas, sliced apples and blackberrries. All of this is in the room price. Service is tops, hats off to the staff! Property is cozy and elegant. Lines are nice. I cannot think of one problem we had during our stay. Dinner was very good as well - kitchen staff is amazing!!! Thanks You!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I booked one night in December for my business trip to Charlottesville. It sounded perfect and the reviews were wonderful. I arrived and had help carrying my bags to my room. Adorable, cozy, and well-appointed. Dropped off my things and went down to the restaurant for a solo dinner...divine. So excited! But then, on the stairs up to my room, I saw a big bug. Didn't think anything of it. But then noticed several of these bugs in my room. I told the person working downstairs about the problem and she offered to move me. We walked to the building closest to the main house, turn on the lights, and notice 3 big bugs! Long story short, there is a stink bug infestation that has been very problematic. They tried spraying my original room but more bugs kept appearing. There weren't any other rooms available except a tiny one next door to the bug-infested room. So, for the first time EVER in my 5+ years of heavy business travel, I LEFT! I seriously could not deal with so many bugs, and the staff were not super helpful. It's such a charming place but I sadly will not be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank WindyCityLady825
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
We take all feedback very seriously. Stink bugs were an issue here. The Main House dates back to 1799 and is set in 100 acres. So once in a while, we have had issues with local wild life (which have included a deer in the wine cellar, and a skunk in a car trunk).
I think we have succesfully tackled the stink bug issue here, and we are truly sorry that Windy City Lady did not enjoy her stay, but glad that she did enjoy the dinner.
Thank you.
NJ
Reviewed January 13, 2011

This little hotel is a hidden gem! So very quiet and upscale. The pool is so exquisite, with it's vanishing edge overlooking the lawn. The coping stone and quartz finish inside the pool is stunning. The private cabanas are shaded with ivy and an opaque outdoor curtain should you want total privacy. There's a little button one can push to order refreshments poolside. The lavender lemonade is delicious! After all that relaxation, enjoy the restaurant with it's amazing tasting menu, you will be blown away. Every bite is something to cherish. Also attended a wine dinner here, where the winemaker presented his wines to a group of maybe 25 or so. It was intimate and fun with amazing food and wine pairings! Can't wait to return!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
charlottesville va
Reviewed December 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed for one night at the Clifton Inn in November. We found the service and attention to detail to be wonderful. The dinner we had was delicious and the service (particularly our waiter Derek) made the evening so special. Even though there was a wedding going on when we were there, we were made to feel welcome and well attended to. The breakfast the following morning was wonderful. We stayed in the main building - noise was not an issue. The room decor was not to my taste, but still lovely if you enjoy antiques. The bed was so comfortable and the linens so luxurious. We missed the tea service unfortunately and when we mentioned the wine tasting (which had been canceled due to the wedding), we were provided with a complimentary glass of wine with dinner (a very nice touch). Eric greeted us when we arrived and was very helpful. I noticed a dirty towel and asked that it be replaced - it was done quickly. I highly recommend the Clifton Inn in all respects !

1 Thank travelbug039
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I have ever stayed in in the US, and I've traveled a lot. The grounds are beautiful, and the H.neymoon Cottage is charming beyond belief. Wonderful staff, full restaurant and bar. Very handy to sightseeing, particularly if you're a history buff. The only complaint was having to leave!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2010

LOVED our evening at Clifton Inn. Terrific ambience and wonderful dinner. (The "Sticky Toffee Pudding" was phenonmenally good!) great staff, charming in every respect.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
#5 of 35 in Charlottesville
200 South Street Inn
200 South Street Inn
#10 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#7 of 35 in Charlottesville
Comfort Inn Monticello
Comfort Inn Monticello
#15 of 35 in Charlottesville
Keswick Hall
Keswick Hall
#1 of 1 in Keswick
The English Inn of Charlottesville

Been to Clifton Inn? Share your experiences!