“LOVED Clifton!”
Review of Clifton Inn

Clifton Inn
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed August 2, 2007

I have never written a review before (and just joined Trip Advisor today), but felt I had to after staying at Clifton for a wedding earlier this month. Everything was PERFECT--the food was great, the property (from the lawn to our room) was spotless and charming, and the staff could not have been more helpful or personable. The wedding was beautiful--mother of the bride even said this was largely due to the event coordinator and staff at Clifton. I was travelling with my two young children and husband--the staff was constantly making them feel special and welcome. Clifton will definitely be my new go-to for a quick getaway away from Washington, DC (only two hour drive!)

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SMC4123
There are newer reviews for Clifton Inn

Reviewed July 27, 2007

We chose the Clifton based on some good reviews and the fact that it's a Relaix and Chateau property, and we were not disappointed. We were so suprised to see some of the recent poor reviews - nothing but positive feedback here.
The inn is a perfect location - close to many wineries, minutes from Monticello, and a short drive to downtown Charlottesville. We were greeted warmly on our arrival and were given directions and recommendations to wineries and restaurants in town. Our room was small but sweetly rustic, with music playing, magazines to read, and complimentary port wine set out for us. And every night they left cookies for us in the turn down service - very cute! The grounds were meticulous and charming, and the lake was gorgeous. The pool was a little cold but beautiful and serene, and they even brought afternoon tea for us at the pool. The dinner at the inn was absolutely divine - beautifully presented, delicious, and the service was perfect. I almost forgot the breakfasts! Home made muffins and croissants were great and the entrees were fabulous.
All in all, we loved the Clifton and would definitely return there again.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank TJ14123
Reviewed June 29, 2007

This is a lovely inn with lovely garden plantings. We stayed here 11/06, and I've been meaning to write a review since then.

I feel very fortunate that we got a great rate for any of the rooms for a mid-week November stay. I booked the Carriage House which is simply stunning. I did not want to leave the suite. Look it up on their website. There is a piano in the room, sherry, a patio -- and best of all -- a shower for 2 with multiple shower heads!

Breakfast was great -- imaginative and abundant. I don't remember the afternoon tea --- perhaps we arrived too late for it or we were seeing an attraction. Dinner was wonderful with creative presentations & combinations.

The grounds are well maintained with attractive plantings. The small lake gives you a reason to go for a long walk.

All in all, I would return again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ihopeihelped
Reviewed June 12, 2007

This was a first class experience for an Inn.
We originally had been given the Garden Room , which is too small for one person. They gave us a room at their adjacent Farmhouse a half mile down the road. It was well worth it, especially since no one else was staying there. So we had the entire property to our selves. The room did not have a TV, but the living room did. And the kitchen had a great espresso machine, and programmable coffee maker that grids the beans . The only inconvenience is the INN property is a 30 second drive down the road. We took advantage of the un-groomed trail through the woods and past the lake. The 24 hour pool/spa is great. Set off away from the house gives you privacy from the guests. On request we had afternoon tea brought to us at the infinity pool. Tennis rackets and balls are available for the courts.
Dinner was also exceptional. We had the Tasting menu at $15 a plate. Small, but ample portions. Exceptional service and quality.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gar l
Reviewed May 14, 2007

Absolutely wonderful! The grounds were beautiful, the dining elegant, and the rooms lovely. This Inn is the most wonderful Inn in and around Charlottesville. We come to Charlottesville frequently and will plan to stay here again in August.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank WHWorthington
Reviewed April 17, 2007

Wow. My boyfriend and I visited the Clifton over St. Patrick's weekend to get away from D.C. madness. While it was a crazy drive getting there (it SNOWED!), we got to the hotel rather later than planned (10 PM). Nothing was open on the way to the hotel (either for weather or time), so we were starving. They actually kept the bar and kitchen open for us. While we settled in with a few drinks (the mojito/champagne combination is wonderful, lavender martini a bit much), they got us bread, cheese sticks, candied nuts, and a cheese plate to feast on. Absolutely incredible.

Pros:

The main house is lovely. We stayed in the Thomas Jefferson room, which is at the top of the (rather slippery) stairs. It was a large, airy room with all the amenities.

The staff were impeccable. Most of them speak multiple languages and they are truely excited to talk about the property.

Breakfast - incredible food and included in the price. The gingerbread pancakes were the standout. Ask for honey on the side for the bread - it's much better than the butter.

Tea - we had ours in the living room. As it was turning slightly cold, it was the perfect pick-me-up. Try to get down early, as the good seats (with tables, instead of just on a couch) fill up quickly.

Check out - speedy and complete. They even gave us cookies for the road.

We had a chance to walk around the grounds, including a stroll to the private lake. This also has a small waterfall.

We also went on a wine tour arranged through the hotel, which was perfectly done. The driver was knowledgeable and even took us to an extra winery that he wanted us to try.

Cons:

As it was spring, the grounds were muddy.

Our room echoed quite a bit, so I ended up taking off my heels the entire time we were in the room.

You can hear the water running in the other rooms. This woke us up around 8 AM on Saturday, when someone decided to shower.

Check to make sure no one is having a wedding. There was a small one going one while we were there. It got a bit rowdy as one guest repeatly refused to stop playing the piano around one AM.

A bit of both:
We also chose to have dinner at the restaurant. The food was very good, but also rich. I almost couldn't finish my meal. Also, the waiter was a bit odd at first (I think this was related to the wedding). It took about an hour to get ice tea, then another twenty minutes for a refill. When we let the manager know, he took over the entire meal and gave us free champagne. It really helped that they had such a quick response.

I would absolutely go back here. While it is a remote location, that is what we were looking for. This place easily surpasses service at the Ritz and similar hotels, as it is smaller and unique.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hepburn_Lover
Reviewed March 21, 2007

For the past few years, my husband and I had been looking for a special place to visit a couple of times a year. The kind of place we'd be treated like special guests in a special setting -- and we have high standards.

I'm happy to say we found it here at Clifton. The place is gorgeous, the rooms are beautiful and the staff is first-rate. And the food! The previous reviews are right on target -- the restaurant is amazing. We regret only eating here on the second night of our two-night stay. We should've eaten here both nights! I really don't understand why it's not mentioned more often as a food destination -- because it really is (in my opinion, it was better than our dinner at the Inn at Little Washington a few years back).

As for the rooms: There are a few places on the grounds where you can stay. We stayed in the main house, which is absolutely lovely. Our suite was spacious and comfortable, the bed was heavenly and the bathroom exceptional (large tub, even larger shower with body jets, Molton Brown toiletries, etc.). Keep in mind that if you're a light sleeper, you might want to request a room that isn't above the kitchen! It wasn't noisy, per se, but we did hear some activity late into the night and again in the wee hours of the morning as they prepare for breakfast. Oh, and the smell of the muffins being baked nearly sent me into a full-blown hunger attack at 6 am!! It wafts, people, it wafts!

The cottages also looked great -- I think we're going to stay in one the next time (and you can bring your dog if you stay there!) We were there in the winter, so we're looking forward to lounging by the pool on our next visit.

Every touch is extremely tasteful and elegant. Breakfast (included in the price, I think) is excellent (where do they get their coffee??) and the cookies they send you home with will be gone before you even start the ignition.

Check their Web site for upcoming events. We went for a culinary weekend and got to spend a little time in the kitchen with the chef and made a truly sumptuous lunch.

This was a great weekend getaway and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank msp132
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlottesville
200 South Street Inn
200 South Street Inn
#11 of 35 in Charlottesville
Keswick Hall
Keswick Hall
#1 of 1 in Keswick
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#6 of 35 in Charlottesville
#5 of 35 in Charlottesville
Hyatt Place Charlottesville
Hyatt Place Charlottesville
#2 of 35 in Charlottesville

Been to Clifton Inn? Share your experiences!