My friend and I stayed there last weekend. I didn't expect anything beyond a B&B - hell, the place is old. The service was excellent and the food was memorable - in fact, I don't think I've ever had a better meal when we had dinner in their dining room. Breakfast was free and very good.
Drinks and food are very expensive, e.g. Two four course meals and four coctails for dinner ran about $260, with the gratuity, for the two of us. I'm not griping about the prices though. We got a deal on the room for two nights for much less than their standard rate; I think it was about $130 a night not including taxes and such.
We stayed in the Honeymoon Cottage after being upgraded from one of the less expensive rooms. The shower area didn't offer much privacy as far as the room was concerned, but I didn't really care , hell, I shared a bed with the woman. However, I was glad that the WC had a separate door.
I was in Charlottesville last year, and I stayed at the Boar's Head Inn for two nights. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I liked Clifton better. The food & service was superior to BH. And since Clifton is smaller than the Boar's Head, they have a smaller staff. I enjoyed developing rapport with the staff and seeing the same faces for consecutive days/meals where they know you by name.
On the other hand, there's no way I'd pay their standard room rates to stay there. $400+ a night? It's not THAT nice!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The internationally renowned Clifton Inn, named the "Best Hotel in Charlottesville," and one of USA Today''s "10 best Southern fine dining restaurants" boasts 17 stunning guest suites and five unique dining venues. Relax by the fireplace with a speciality cocktail, escape to the wine cellar for a private dining experience, or enjoy casual a la carte dining on the veranda. Situated on 100 acres of rolling hills just 7 miles east of downtown, the dramatic infinity edge pool, miles of walking trails, and lake front views make Clifton the most desired hotel, dining, and special event choice in Charlottesville. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda and getaroom.com so you can book your Clifton Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clifton Hotel Charlottesville
- Country Inn Charlottesville
- Charlottesville Country Inn