“Excellent place to stay”
Review of Clifton Inn

Clifton Inn
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We were exploring several wineries and wanted to stay someplace with history. This was an excellent choice. We had dinner in the Restuarant. It was a bit pricey but the food was excellent. We especially enjoyed the trout course and the desserts.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank JHPetsitter

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We just completed our fourth outing to the Clifton Inn - the first being the night after our marriage. There are very few places where you can get the ambience, the quiet natural pleasures of the hills outside Charlottesville, beautiful, spacious accommodations and the best darned meal you will find anywhere short of the Inn at Little Washington- and it is pretty comparable (but less expensive). A short walk brings you to a beautiful little stream on one side and the Ravenna River on the other side. The grounds are beautiful. It is a great place to take someone you love or to go to get away and it could even be a good venue for a small business meeting. The Inn is extremely comfortable, but the food is exquisite. They have "small dishes" so you can try lots of different foods and, unless you get the full 12 courses with matching wines, you won't feel stuffed. But, if you have the time, we heartily recommend the full 12 courses. I first found the Clifton Inn over twenty years ago on a business training session - I fell in love with it then and have never been even a small bit disappointed. It is a class establishment.

Room Tip: If you want something really special, the Carriage House if available. Otherwise, any of the suites...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Robert W
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Clifton is a divine, aesthetically pleasing, & relaxing property. Our food, above all else, was simply marvelous. I reprimanded myself for not ordering the mixed green salad with house-made ricotta (I tasted my friend's & lamented). However, I recovered & forgot about all regret upon receipt of my brussel sprouts. The salsify with caviar was fantastic, as was the tea-steamed tuna, which melted in my mouth. And then there were the sweetbreads...oh, dear God...they were as tender as the sparse winter grasses upon which the cow feasted shortly before slaughter... (Pardon me for having waxed poetic, but good food will inspire my Muse.) My sticky-toffee pudding was delectable & [somewhat regrettably] passed around the table for my dining companions' mutual enjoyment. Try the Clifton Inn for yourself. I sincerely doubt you'll be anything short of amazingly pleased.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Lulielola
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We just had the immense pleasure of another Chef's Table Experience at the Clifton Inn! Watch the action in the kitchen up-close and personal, while you enjoy a spectacular meal with friends!
Clifton Inn has been our "special place" for years, and the most recent visit was another highlight in a long list of perfect evenings. The staff treat you like family, the ambience is sophisticated, warm and welcoming. The food is spectacular, fun, inventive, and the tasting menu always offers something new and exciting. They also regularly change their list of cocktail specials. The "Founding Fathers Flight" and the "Wisemen" were our favorites on this past visit. The wine selection includes true gems from local sources as well as all over the world. Check out the Barboursville Vineyards "Octagon" for a real treat! Honestly, I would give it more stars, if I could!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank sciencechick_10
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The inn is in a great location, 10 min drive to downtown, on a beautiful quiet and relaxing property. They have a great tea service every afternoon, and all the staff is outstanding. Highly recommended.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheTravelerDC
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We visited the Inn for dinner on December 30, 2012. A review of the menu showed many interesting selections. So many, that we opted for the Chef's Tasting for both of us. Our first selection was a wooden board with five or six different types of relish appetizers. Each one was pickled or heavily salted. Thankfully, the good bread helped calm our stomachs. The second course came...more picked appetizers...by the third course (you guessed it) pickled vegetables and oysters. I have never experienced pickled apples...We could no longer stomach the food. I requested a beef meal for both of us and that they cancel the balance of the Chef's Tasting. The ONLY beef on the menu was a Rib Eye (no Filet Mignon!). These were delivered in a timely manner...very bland..At least not pickled but heavy on ginger. Management was very attentive, even offering to comp our dinner. I did not accept the comp, but did strongly suggest they visit a quality restaurant and sample someone else's Chef's Tasting. We talked to another couple who also had dinner that night. They said the only thing they tried was a salad and the rib eye and salmon. They said "Ok but not worth another visit". I would like Dan_0302 to comment on his thoughts about the Tasting Menu.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob S
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been to Clifton many times and loved it so much that my husband and I got married there in 2010. We stayed last night for a anniversary celebration and were shocked at the change. There has been a lapse in maintenance (hardwoods in bad shape, exterior needs painting, linens need to be replaced, stink bugs in the room!). The service at dinner was abysmal- waited 30 minutes to even place our order and there were long delays between courses. The food is average compared to before. One waitress was particularly rude- slammed plates down and seemed personally insulted when we had to move dessert to our room because dinner had taken too long. Clifton used to be a very special place and we are sad to see this decline!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Balletbee
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

We have been in contact with Balletbee" regarding her review of Clifton. We are very happy that she got married here, because it was a really great day !
We agree with certain aspects of her review. For example, the hardwood floors in the Dining Room - we get that and agree. As we speak, we are actually closed for our annual maintenance, and we are re-doing the floors - which we re-do every year !
We look forward to "Balletbee" and her husband returning and I am sure they will then write a very positive review.

Kind regards,

Niall Reid

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlottesville
200 South Street Inn
Keswick Hall
Keswick Hall
#1 of 1 in Keswick
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#7 of 35 in Charlottesville
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Charlottesville - UVA, VA
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson,...
#6 of 35 in Charlottesville
The English Inn of Charlottesville

Been to Clifton Inn? Share your experiences!