“Collina Farm at Clifton Inn-Charming”
Review of Clifton Inn

Clifton Inn
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed January 6, 2012

For New Years weekend, my whole family (8 or us) stayed in the house that is rented out by Clifton Inn of Charlottesville. It is called Collina Farm. The house itself is down the road from the inn, but you get all of the amenities of Clifton, but have the privacy for your family. There are 4 beautiful bedrooms with each having their own nice full bath, a full country kitchen and living room with also a huge dining room. What was so much fun was that we all cooked our appetizers for New Years Eve at the house. Clifton Inn staff was very accommodating in turning on the gas fireplace for us and helped explain the wi-fi connection as well as the kitchen supplies of dishes, etc. Each morning we could go to the inn for a continental breakfast or add eggs for a charge. Also there was afternoon high tea included in the price of the house which was very delicious. The staff could not have been any nicer and we all said that this was the best place that we have all stayed together!! Just an extra note: I had left my electric toothbrush plugged in on the sink in our bathroom and when I called to report it, they immediately sent it back to me. I really appreciated their help!! What is so cool about the place is that Thomas Jefferson's son-in-law and daughter owned the property for a while and I bet Thomas visited there a few times, being so close at Monticello,which is just a few miles up the mountain!! Don't hesitate to stay at Clifton Inn or Collina Farmhouse.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Thombtc

Reviewed January 2, 2012

The Clifton Inn is all you could hope for in the central Virginia rolling hills. The staff was extremely attentive, the room was spacious and clean and the breakfast pastries, were without a doubt, wonderful. We had dinner in the Dining room, the food was wonderful , the service was spot on and the dessert (Toffee pudding) worth the drive alone.

My one compliant, allowing children in the dining room after 700pm, the crying and screaming ruined an otherwise perfect and pristine evening.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DRCtraveler
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Just finished up a weekend at the Clifton with my husband. We stayed in the Monticello suite, which is in the main part of the inn, and couldn't have asked for better accommodations. There were only two rooms nearby and we never heard or saw anyone else coming or going from these rooms. We had a view of the sunset and a view of the pool/waterfall. We were concerned about noise since we were above the restaurant dining room, but honestly we turned in early both nights and were not bothered by noise at all. It may be louder in the warmer months when perhaps more of the evening diners are out on the veranda. And for those concerned about stinkbugs, we saw only two the entire weekend and they kept their distance :)

A couple things that I wanted to clear up for others: there are complimentary pastries, coffee, tea, and juice in the morning (pastries are divine), but then you can purchase a true entree from the menu to go with it- most ranged from $13 to $14 dollars. Also, afternoon tea is included and from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. If you don't like tea they also offered us hot cider. They brought four fresh pastries and berries with lemon curd out for each of us- I was in heaven.

We dined one night at the restaurant and our dinner was exquisite in every way. I don't think I've had better food, atmosphere, service, etc.

Best of all, I loved that every time we walked in the front door to the inn, someone wholeheartedly said "Welcome back!" And we will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: We loved the Monticello room in the main inn.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Amy60893
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Easy to find as signage is good. Area is quiet. Rooms are not so quiet as one can hear everything going on in the next room or downstairs.
Beds very comfortable. Sofa great for reading. Morning newspaper, evening nightcap, bathrobes, wifi. Bathrooms are very nice although it takes forever for the water to get warm. I felt like a wasted a lot of it just waiting. No full-length mirror was an inconvenience.
Breakfast is not included. What you do get is juice, coffee and muffins. The kitchen is so close to the dining room, this was annoying as you could smell the food. The room was expensive enough that including breakfast would have been nice. The food was excellent ,but the service so pretentious that we felt uncomfortable and didn't go back the second night for dinner. Dinner was $280!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emberbor
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Room was attractive enough. Breakfast ok, but limited to a small basket of pastries, juice and coffee. Anything else is extra, which is disappointing given the fairly high price of the rooms. Service was disappointing. Arrived in a torrential downpour of rain. Had to make three trips to my car to unload. Staff made it clear they had no intention of helping -- they offered an umbrella (and added a service charge to the bill, for the umbrella perhaps?)
Overall, a disappointing experience. I have stayed at several Relais & Chateaux inns, and have generally found them to be excellent, if not superb. I expect better from R&C. Clifton Inn is not up to that standard, and I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank steven p
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

I think SWP50’s review may need a little bit of clarification. There was a torrential downpour when the guest arrived. He was taken to his suite which was outside and shielded by an umbrella by our staff. Due to the torrential rain, the car was left in the driveway. SWP50 was asked to dial Reception when the rain abated so we could assist with luggage. Unfortunately he did not, despite the offer.

So I feel the review is a bit misfortunate. However, I feel that somehow we did disappoint SWP50, so we have changed our policy. From now on we will take the guest car keys so we will be more in control of this, and then I do not think this would have happened.

Reviewed November 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, it was so beautiful and the views were beyond breathtaking, so imagine my disappointment when we had bugs (later found out they were called Stink Bugs) all over our room. They kept coming, I called down to the staff and they said not to kill them, because they will smell. We proceeded to the bar and she asked if we would like a drink, I'm thinking ok well it's the least she could do was buy us a drink....so the next day I asked them to check our room frequently so we wouldn't have the same problem....AGAIN they came flying like crazy!!! yes, they were quick to deal with the issue, but when you are paying over $200 a night and on your honeymoon, this is not what you want to see. Well, the drink I thought was a courteous gesture was charged to our room! yes they took off the service fee, however with the hotel being as expensive as it was they should have been more accomodating.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tina M
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2011

Tina M stayed in the Main House for her honeymoon, and was given a rate less than $200 ! The Main House dates back to 1799 and is set in 100 acres. So once in a while, we have had issues with local wild life (which have included a deer in the wine cellar, and a skunk in a car trunk). We have had the Main House sprayed for bugs four times this year. This year we had an additional problem - it was a beautiful fall with really warm temperatures for a few days. This unfortunately, brings the stink bugs into our building as they are seeking winter shelter !
We hope that Tina M returns for her anniversary.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 4, 2011

I'm going to Yay! I'm a fan it, because as I understand it, most of the rooms are very nice, told to me first hand by other guest staying. I, however, was in the "troll" room ('scuse me I mean the Honeymoon Suite) affectionately called the "troll" room. You might ask why, and I might tell you that, as it was built in the late 1700's and I guess people were a lot smaller then, the door frames were about 5'8" and my 6'5" husband learned the hard way (as in ouch) to duck after he hit his head a few times. As a matter of fact, I ended up hanging a towel across the bathroom door just so it would remind him, in that middle of the night, have to go, where am I daze, to duck.

Speaking of the bathroom, while it is my understanding that some rooms have showers that have heads that spray you with water from many directions, our claw tub did not. It even had an interesting drain mechanism that you had to turn a certain way to get the tub to drain. Like I said, built in the late 1700's...and I guess they didn't need mirrors in their bathrooms then either as the only tiny little bitty one we got was a magnifier and sometimes looking into those is just scary (if you are only going to put one little mirror in, make it a regular little mirror - just saying). They also supplied a hair-dryer, but no electricity hooked into the bathroom except by the toilet (no mirror there either) which was too low for one to stand and blow dry their hair without unplugging the drying...

LindySez: OK...all that said, the room was comfy, the bed was comfy, the staff was attentive, the food was excellent...so, stay at the Clifton Inn, just tell them you don't want the "Honeymoon Suite" aka the "Troll Room".

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
___027, General Manager at Clifton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2011

LindySez - Thanks for the Yay - and the comments "... the room was comfy, the bed was comfy, the staff was attentive, the food was excellent...so, stay at the Clifton Inn..."

In regards to The Honeymoon Suite, following your comments you made on departure we immediately took corrective action by changing and adding mirrors. We are in the process of adding power. But we do want to retain some historical charm, and so unfortunately for your husband we will not be adjusting the doorway height. We have just added that into your guest history, that you should not be situated in rooms with low doorways and also need a king bed - we do care what our customers say.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to The Clifton Inn in the future.

Kind regards,

Niall Reid

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlottesville
200 South Street Inn
200 South Street Inn
#11 of 35 in Charlottesville
Keswick Hall
Keswick Hall
#1 of 1 in Keswick
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesvill...
#6 of 35 in Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
Omni Charlottesville
#5 of 35 in Charlottesville
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, Charlottesville - UVA, VA
Country Inn & Suites by Carlson,...
#7 of 35 in Charlottesville
The English Inn of Charlottesville

Been to Clifton Inn? Share your experiences!