“pretty good for a small town”

Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 566 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Nestled inside the Main Street Market at 416 West Main Street in Charlottesville, Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar offers a menu and wine list that fuses the culinary and viticultural traditions of Italy, Greece, Spain, and the South of France.Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar celebrates the exciting synergy of food and wine and the sparkling flavors of the Mediterranean. Our menu is complemented by an extensive wine list that covers the breadth of the Mediterranean, featuring an outstanding selection of wines by the glass as well as rare wines at exceptional values from our Wine Shop. We offer 5% off retail when you purchase three bottles, 10% off retail for six, and 20% off retail for a case.Orzo Offsite offers the exceptional cuisine and warm hospitality that you've come to enjoy at Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar. From simple to lavish, Orzo Offsite caters weddings, political fundraisers, corporate functions and intimate dinner parties (to name a few). We create beautiful, seamless and unforgettable events.
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Thank goodness we had a waiter who didn't want to be our best friend. What a relief. He (Can you believe it? He didn't introduce himself.) gave us the time we needed to decide, didn't disappear and was courteous and efficient.

Now the food. Actually very good. I had the ceasar salad to start and it was yummy and substantial with anchovies that added flavour and not just saltiness to the salad. My companion had octopus--very pretty and he enjoyed it.

Our main courses, a pasta with shrimp and a steak were both delicious. A very lovely end to the meal was a delectable lavender flavoured pannacotta. So delicate and lovely with just the right amount of lavender.

Yes, I'd go back. Especially since prices weren't outrageous.

1  Thank haifasharon

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Not a five star, but four plus. This smallish bistro in downtown Charlottesville was our choice for our anniversary dinner. A very good choice. The theme is Italian/Greek. The food is inventive and very tasty. They have a wide array of first courses, sides, pastas, fish and meat dishes.
We started by sharing a special Greek salad, short on greens, but long on local heirloom tomatoes, fresh peppers, marinated onions and olives, and yummy feta. Very healthy yet tasty.
My wife loved her snapper with veggies. I had the bucatini carbonara, with fresh corn, crabmeat, bacon, and poached egg. Rich and satisfying.
They have a full bar and 30 diverse wines by the glass.
Highly recommended.

1  Thank Jays911
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Interesting place; but, seemingly a bit of an identity crisis. Italian trattoria, college night out place, garage?

Garage? Well, our group of four was escorted through the front room, back through a middle section, a back room and then - to an open space - not identifiable as a room - the back of the space appeared to be a fence separating the space from an interior mall corridor, one side of the space was a series of floor to ceiling curtain like panels separating this space from another open space beyond. No real decor, just a series of tables on what appeared to be a painted concrete floor.

The space was made better once a few more tables were seated and there was a bit of a bustle. Offsetting the sparse surroundings was the very good service - prompt, professional and friendly - worthy of a much nicer room. Unfortunately, the management made the servers jobs much more difficult - seating four at a table better suited to a deuce than a four top. We'll set, the table was. Unfortunately, not a great deal of room available once food began arriving.

The food was generally good. My rigatoni bolognese was well prepared, well seasoned and of a decent portion. Two orders of bucatini with crabmeat were well received - both ended up with take out containers. Wine was fairly priced and the water poured was excellent.

All in all, a decent meal, served in a less than enjoyable environment. Kudos to the waitstaff for making the evening enjoyable.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stopped over in Charlottesville on the way back to Ohio from the Outer Banks and were pleasantly surprised by how much this town had to offer -- including the food and atmosphere offered by Orzo. We ordered an appetizer, wine, beer and two entrees, and were very happy with everything. The kitchen is open and it's pretty small, so this won't be the place to go for a quiet night out. However, we liked the bustling energy offered by Orzo's pots clanging, people talking and food sizzling.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My daughter had just successfully defended her doctoral dissertation at UVA, and suggested we have her celebration dinner here. I'm really grateful for the suggestion as we had a spectacular dinner here. The outside of the restaurant is quite unassuming, as it's in a small shopping center type building. Inside, the motif is mainly black.

Carnivore / vegetarian / vegan / gluten-free ? Yes, they have entrees for all of these--I don't think I've ever seen all of these offered in the same restaurant before.

My two daughter's split a vegan risotto with side orders of chickpeas, hummus, and broccoli, and were very happy with their decisions. My wife had the 'regular' risotto (which I think was vegetarian). My mother and I had the Peasant Bolognese with rigatoni and chile flakes, although my mother passed on the chile flakes. I thought they added just a little heat to the food, and provided a great extra taste to the recipe.

With soft drinks, tax and tip, the evening ran us just a little over $125. Other than the restaurant got a little noisy after a party of 10 people were seated next to us, we all had a great evening together.