“Great Pizza!!”

Lampo Neapolitan Pizzeria
Ranked #36 of 628 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Reviewed September 30, 2018

You cannot get better pizza in Charlottesville, or many other places for that matter. We have had all the pizzas there and enjoyed every single one of them. The meatballs are made in house and they are delicious!

The wine selection is good and have a Lampo Smash cocktail (or three!).

You will not regret stopping in!

Reviewed September 24, 2018

A local bartender recommended to eat here and we are glad that we did. The staff was knowledgeable and the food did not disappoint. Our bartender here was friendly and took the time to really go over the menu and wine selections. It is off the beaten path, but you won't be sorry that you stopped in. Don't miss the meatballs.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

I had been to Lampo three years prior, and had longed to return. It is the best pizza in Virginia, and possibly the best in the world. They do well to include "Neapolitan" in the restaurant name, because this word in the USA indicates a special type of pizza that is not in every town, and to my knowledge, did not exist in Charlottesville prior to Lampo. In Washington DC, Menomale provides something comparable, and in South Carolina, you can find EVO and Monza. These who commit to "Neapolitan" styles are in a league of their own, and none is more intriguing than Lampo.

Know that this restaurant operates strictly on a first-come, first-served basis, with no reservations; it is unique, this policy, but indicative of a confident and efficient operation that is serious about what they do. On a Monday in August at 1:05pm, I was able to get a table for one, thankfully, as it was preferable to the bar.

The Margherita D.O.C. was the clear choice, with a Half Coffee Cold Brew/Half Whole Milk serving as dessert; they really do well to offer this cold brew coffee-- I like a cool-temperatured coffee with lots of milk, and communicating this preference to restaurants can be a challenge. I had hoped to leave by 1:40, and miraculously they had me out-the-door at about 1:33.

Lampo is walking distance from Charlottesville Downtown Visitors Center. I was able to find 2-hour parking on East Market Street, between 6th and 7th Streets NE, and from there proceed to the Visitors Center, where the staff was well-positioned to help me re-discover the location of Lampo.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

Lampo truly makes better pizza than anywhere else I have eaten, including legendary places like Patsy’s Pizza in Manhattan and Grimaldi’s in Brooklyn. Thin delicate crust, fresh ingredients, delicious.

My favorite is the DOC Margherita. I have tried all the others and keep coming back to this - simple, honest flavors, absolutely excellent. The kale salad or brussels sprouts appetizer is a very good way to start.

It’s closed on Sundays, and on other days it fills up as soon as it opens. So if you aren’t there at 5pm, best to wait till 6.30 when the tables turn.

Reviewed September 16, 2018

We stumbled upon this restaurant on a recent trip to Charlottesville and it was delicious! The ingredients are super fresh and the pizzas and appetizers were reasonably priced. We'll definitely go back! The indoor space and the outdoor patio are relatively small so not a great space for large parties.