“Terrible service, mediocre food.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Petit Pois Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 538 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Roanoke, Virginia
“Terrible service, mediocre food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

My boyfriend and I stopped in last Friday for dinner. Though there were a million empty tables, it took a good 10 minutes to be seated. Once we were seated, it took another 15 minutes before our waiter even acknowledged us. When he came to get our drink order, we told him we were also ready to order (as we had waited so long). He told us very curtly that he was going to go take someone elses order first!

When the food finally came (and it took a long time), my hangar steak tasted like it has been sitting under a lamp for awhile. It was rather bland as well. My boyfriend's food (the chicken) was boring and uninspired. I suck at cooking but could have very easily prepared the dish he had in front of him.

During the time that we ate our entrees, our waiter never came back to check on us at all. We left a 10% tip (normally we are generous tippers as we both waited tables and understand how difficult it is) because there was just no excuse for the poor service. The place was NOT busy and empty tables were everywhere. I will never go back. Unfortunately, I am starting to realize that many of the restaurants along the Downtown Mall make a living off of their location and not service or quality of food. Avoid this place.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oasis of French Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

Based on two dinner visits we loved the appetizers, entrees and desserts. Tasty French Bistro offerings, friendly staff. Small room makes for easy chats with other diners if that appeals to you. Selection of cheeses for dessert was somewhat disappointing and not inexpensive. Suggest advance call to verify waiting time, if any. All in all, thumbs up!!

Charlottesville, VA
“One of Charlottesville's most underrated restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

I've been to Petit Pois several times for both lunch and dinner. I think that (since the untimely demise of Ciboulette) this may be the best lunch in Charlottesville in terms of what you get for the price. Whenever I've been, the wait staff has been very friendly and attentive, and if you show up on a rainy night, especially during the week, they tend to be less busy and are incredibly accommodating (one night several of us were the last table of the evening, and they let us choose the music). I've always been able to get great wine recommendations, and across the board, the food is innovative without being gimicky, and very tasty.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
charlottesville
“Paris Bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

My wife and I may hold the record for most meals here. We know the menu well and have tried most things. The entire staff have uniformly been more than "friendly", they've been friends - Michael is an amazing enophile and loves to share his knowledge and let us taste/choose our wine. The standards like duck confit with frits are transcendant - these are moments that take me to Paris. We frequent the Sunday Brunch and the egg dishes are easily the best in town. Can't comment on dessert as my wife won't let me have it.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Greensboro NC USA
“Spectacular Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

Wife and I loved the fresh and inventive lunch we had.