“The donuts are amazing!!”

Carter Mountain Orchard
More attraction details
Owner description: Located next to Monticello and Michie Tavern, Carter Mountain Orchard is family-owned and operated. Our mountaintop location affords spectacular views of Charlottesville, the Piedmont, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Open April through November, we offer Pick-Your-Own and pre-picked Peaches and Nectarines (June-August) and Pick Your Own and pre-picked Apples (mid-August through November). Our bakery serves fresh-baked pies and cookies, hand-dipped ice cream, and our famous Apple Cider Donuts! Apple Cider, Apple Butter, jams and jellies, local crafts, pumpkins, and gourmet food products available in our country store. Wine tasting and sales on site, and the Mountain Grille serves lunch. Our school tours are popular-call for reservations. Scouts, Youth Groups, Seniors welcome. Family friendly. Please see our website for more details
Richmond, Virginia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“The donuts are amazing!!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is a great place to stroll through on a leisurely walk with a loved one(s) while picking apples or just sipping on the yummy hot cider they provide. Sadly, it was almost the end of apple picking season when we went so we couldn't do a lot of picking but it was still just wonderful walking around the orchards and then hanging out on the scenic deck drinking cider and eating the freshly made donuts they have

Visited September 2012

Clinton, New Jersey
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Must see while in Charlottesville.”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I read the reviews here. Can't believe how picky a reviewer was- geez, just stay home next time! This place is lovely. No fees to get in, gorgeous views high on the mountain, nice spacious decks to soak it all in, wine tasting, baked items, gift shop, cider, ice cream, fresh peaches and apples to pick or buy in the store, some sandwich selections, etc. Well worth the visit. I have to admit when a family member said we were going to an orchard, I wasn't thrilled at the idea until I got here. I can't wait to return in the fall. They also have sunset Thursdays- maybe with music and wine? Not sure about that but it sounded nice. Don't miss this.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Unbelievably good peach cider”
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by after a long day of touring Monticello and were truly rewarded at Carter Mountain Orchard. You should at least try the peach cider- it is 50 cents for a little styrofoam cup- it was so yummy but when we saw on the bottles how much sugar is in it, we just stuck to the sample size. There were not many other people at the orchard on the hot summer evening we went, but I can see how parking could get tight up there. Be careful on the mountain road!

We did not pick our own produce out in the orchard but we were able to take some apples and peaches home from the farm store- can't wait to try them.

Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Beautiful View...Food and Bakery Items Average.”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I had an hour or more to spend while a friend was doing business nearby, so stopped in here for a visit. As others have posted, the views are great. There's apple-picking, peach-picking, although when I was there, I was told there was no picking due to lack of fruit on the trees from previous busy days, which was no problem.

Now having lived in Georgia for several years, I consider myself to be somewhat of a connoisseur on what a great, juicy peach tastes like. I LOVE great peaches and have been known to eat several (in the car) after finding choice ones at roadside stands! The woman at the register was happy to give me a sample of the yellow peaches, but when I asked for a taste of the white ones, she said she didn't have one cut! Since she was surrounded with both white and yellow peaches, I was a bit taken aback at her response, so I asked her if she would consider getting a white peach and cutting it for me so I could taste those as well. She hesitated, and complied, looking a bit disgruntled.

I will say that though the peaches were okay, I left without buying any. They didn't seem any better than those in our grocery stores. The slices served to me were not sweet and juicy, as a "roadside peach" should be. Perhaps the sample I was given wasn't ripe. Who knows? There was a couple who also asked for a tasting of both types who left in front of me saying they weren't particularly tasty.

They serve frozen peach yogurt which tasted artificial and too sweet. I asked if they made it themselves, and she said they did not. I did enjoy the piece of peach pie from their wide-array of goodies. Of course, there are the usual jars of fruit jellies, jams, apple butters, relishes, dressings, even birdhouses, that you would find at a country roadside market. There's a big deck out back where you can eat your lunch or items you've picked or purchased, which is conveniently just off the back of the open-air salesroom. I did purchase some donuts which our family felt were dry and nothing special. I heard it mentioned they are not made on-site; however, I am unaware if that is true.

I had high expectations when I saw a roadside "Peaches" sign. I'm disappointed in their taste. At any rate, I'm sure most people would find this to be a fun experience, particularly those with children who can experience the joy of picking fruit off trees.

Elkton, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful views and tasty treats”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The views from this mountain top orchard are incredible and the food available at the orchard store all looks wonderful. I highly recommend the peach cider.

Visited July 2013