“Great pie and cider, spectacular views”

Carter Mountain Orchard
More attraction details
Owner description: Located next to Monticello and Michie Tavern, Carter Mountain Orchard is family-owned and operated. Our mountaintop location affords spectacular views of Charlottesville, the Piedmont, and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Open April through November, we offer Pick-Your-Own and pre-picked Peaches and Nectarines (June-August) and Pick Your Own and pre-picked Apples (mid-August through November). Our bakery serves fresh-baked pies and cookies, hand-dipped ice cream, and our famous Apple Cider Donuts! Apple Cider, Apple Butter, jams and jellies, local crafts, pumpkins, and gourmet food products available in our country store. Wine tasting and sales on site, and the Mountain Grille serves lunch. Our school tours are popular-call for reservations. Scouts, Youth Groups, Seniors welcome. Family friendly. Please see our website for more details
McLean, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great pie and cider, spectacular views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

Didn't get a chance to actually pick apples, but we picked up a gallon of cider and a fresh apple pie on our way home after a long day of sightseeing... man, once that cider hits your parched throat, all you can think is, "Ahh, nectar from heaven!" And what better way to spend a cool autumn afternoon than staring at the colors from atop the orchard store's balcony? What a refreshing end to a weekend in Charlottesville.

Next time we'll bring my parents.

1 Thank jujubean45

Williamsburg, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AMAZING!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

We visited Carter Mountain Orchard on Saturday October 15th, we went with my friends and we had a blast, the driving is worth it because you not only enjoy the view and scenery but also you are able if you want, to pick up your own apples, taste their delightful wine, eat their scrumptious apple donuts and drink their apple cider that is just right. The kids had a blast at the hay ride and enjoyed our picnic with an awesome view.

1 Thank Magali4
Chesterfield, Virginia
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“LOVE me some Carter Mountain!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

We just visited this week and visited 2 years ago. Just to give you the vision: orchard on a mountain overlooking the valley, large red barn as the center serving apple cider and fresh apple cinnamon doughnuts, among other baked goodness, deck off of the back so you can enjoy baked goods overlooking the valley. To further your image, the first time I visited I cried watching my kids enjoy it all and thinking of the all-American wholesome family-ness of it all. Embarrassing admission, but true.

This time I didn't cry, but it's a fantastic stop for a family nonetheless. The kids love picking apples and in the fall, they have pumpkins as well. It was definitely busy, but when you're outside in a large orchard it doesn't feel crowded. Great time.

1 Thank chamdex
Virginia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“far more than just apples”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Carter Mountain is one of my favorite Charlottesville places to visit in the fall. But you have to be prepared. Start by visiting their website to see which apples are being picked when. I have a favorite — Stayman — and so I arrange my visit to coincide when those are on the "being picked now" list! To be honest, every apple is amazing when it's picked right off these trees. But you can really taste the subtle differences between the varieties. I spent quite a bit of time nibbling on one Fuiju and one Stayman before making my final choice!

I agree with the other reviewers that you need to have good walking shoes. A camera (amazing views). And a few dollars for apple cider donuts or a piece of pie. I paid my $1 for an apple cider donut that was still warm. Melted in my mouth. Had to go back and fork over another $1 for a second one!

I arrived at the start of weekend hours: 8am on a Sunday. It looks like I could have waited till 9am and been just fine. But friends have told me how the long, winding, dusty road up to the top becomes bumper-to-bumper if you wait too long. The only drawback to arriving that early is you miss the outdoor music. But I think that if you come at 9, bring a picnic brunch and plan to stay awhile, you might have the perfect day. Oh, and you can bring your dog — nothing better than an outdoor adventure where you can bring your dog, in my opinion.

And don't be skimpy about how many apples you bring home. I picked 20 for just myself, and they are more than half gone less than a week later. I eat them like candy!

2 Thank buymeaticket
Virginia Beach, Virginia
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Worth a detour off the highways for those heavenly pies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

Every fall I stop at this orchard to get freshly baked pies and hot apple donuts. Sublime. And perfect gifts. The other day i called ahead to reserve pies since it would be late in the day before i could get there. Good thing, they were close to selling out.

Haven't taken time to pick my own apples as I usually have at least three more hours to drive. If you're going to pick, bring sturdy shoes.

The time it takes off the interstate and up the 1100 mountain is worth it. Scenery is gorgeous! Be prepared for crowds and school groups- if that's not your thing go just after opening (9am I think) or later in the day. And don't drive up the gravel road if you're fussy about your car! It's just gravel dust . . . but a lot of it!

1 Thank ValerieinVB