“Pretty delectable nosh”

The Shebeen Pub & Braai
Reserve with OpenTable
The Shebeen Pub & Braai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 556 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Main St
Description: The Shebeen Pub & Braai is our little piece of Africa in the heart of downtown Charlottesville! Our Shebeen, styled after the Cape wineries, offers unique food in an engaging setting. At The Shebeen Pub & Braai we present you with South African hospitality. Our menu reflects the multiculturalism of the Southern African palate. From spicy African peri-peri sauce and Dutch farmer's Boer sausage to pub-style fish 'n chips, you will explore a cuisine of surprising diversity. Allow us to host your next dinner party, or simply meet your mates in the pub for a pint. We will blend exceptional fare with a comprehensive event planning and management if you're interested in our catering services. Our commitment to local and seasonal ingredients and our passion for special events, allows us to do what we love every day. We look forward to having you at The Shebeen Pub & Braai!
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We eat here pretty frequently, with very few hiccups. The food, both lunch and dinner are well presented. They have a correspondingly good (nice pairing) wine list. If you only have one day in C'ville then eat here you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank TravelerTerra
There are newer reviews for The Shebeen Pub & Braai

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our party had a delicious dinner here on the evening of Oct. 13, 2013. The food was divine. We started the meal with Samosas and for dinner I had the "Sosatie" [marinated lamb on sugarcane skewers with tasty sauces] and my son and his new bride had the Durban Spiced Chicken. And, why did we decide to go there? The "Shebean" had been the caterer for their wedding the previous evening at the delightful Keswick Winery about 20 minutes away. The wedding dinner was served family style and guests had a choice of delicious braised beef served with a delicious polenta with mushrooms or pan roasted salmon with roasted Brussels sprouts. The dinner couldn't have been better.

1  Thank Wizard49
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went to Shebeen with my hosts here in Va. The food was just brilliant great flavours, I had the steak Pie, one had fish and Chips and the other the mussels. Each one of us was really pleased with the offer. staff were attentive and friendly, one even got the recipe for the mussel sauce form the chef. well done guys.

1  Thank MGB074
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I came here with my wife and son and we were amazed at the dining experience. The menu is quite varied with a mix of South African dishes and things that are more easily recognized. The food was great and everyone enjoyed it very much. My wife got the salmon with mealie pap (delicious grits) and vegetables. My steak was perfectly cooked and my son really enjoyed his Durban chicken dish. The server was knowledgeable with our many questions about unfamiliar food and our meal came out quickly despite it being a busy Saturday night. We will definitely be coming back!

2  Thank Bill W
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were in Charlottesville for parents' weekend, so all of our favorite restaurants were booked between 5:45 and 8:45. So, we looked at Trip Advisor for recommendations, and found that a lot of our fellow TA'ers liked this place, and decided to give it a try. We got a table with our daughter for 7:00. All I can say is that the food was sensational. If you are in Charlottesville, don't miss it.
The ambiance is very good. They were pretty busy, so service was a little slow, but we were in no hurry, and all the food arrived at table piping hot, so no harm done. We tried the samosas and the fried onion rings for appetizers. The samosas were hot, crispy and flavorful. The onion rings were likewise crisp and not greasy and came with a somewhat spicy sauce. Delectable!
There are a number of tempting lamb dishes on the menu (along with many other dishes for those of you who don't care for lamb). I settled on the braised lamb shank (osso buco). It was delicious. My wife had the grilled salmon. It was the best salmon I ever had-perfectly seasoned and flavorful.
So, while a South African restaurant may seem unusual, don't be put off. You won't regret dining there!

2  Thank PeteVino