“Brunch”

The Shebeen Pub & Braai
Reserve with OpenTable
The Shebeen Pub & Braai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 563 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West Main St
Description: The Shebeen Pub & Braai is our little piece of Africa in the heart of downtown Charlottesville! Our Shebeen, styled after the Cape wineries, offers unique food in an engaging setting. At The Shebeen Pub & Braai we present you with South African hospitality. Our menu reflects the multiculturalism of the Southern African palate. From spicy African peri-peri sauce and Dutch farmer's Boer sausage to pub-style fish 'n chips, you will explore a cuisine of surprising diversity. Allow us to host your next dinner party, or simply meet your mates in the pub for a pint. We will blend exceptional fare with a comprehensive event planning and management if you're interested in our catering services. Our commitment to local and seasonal ingredients and our passion for special events, allows us to do what we love every day. We look forward to having you at The Shebeen Pub & Braai!
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Husband and I met daughter and boyfriend for brunch last Sunday. All four of us LOVED our choices. The food is a notch more exotic than normal brunch fare. The rocotta blueberry pancakes with lemon curd were light, flavorful, and fluffy. Both the salmon and crabcake eggs benedict were wonderful.
Two small disappointments: 1) the staff was a bit slow but we were visiting so it didn't matter to us but could have been an issue for others and 2) we don't live there and couldn't try what looks like a varied and exciting lunch and dinner menu.
Guess we will have to come back!!
Oh, love that they have joined the locally started but growing reward program Cardagin.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I tried to have dinner here this evening. Once we were sat no one ever returned to us to take any type of order. After 15 minutes of the entire wait staff by passing our table some one did bring out a bread basket, but never said anything to us about someone coming to help us or apologize for the wait. After 20 minutes we finally just left. I was completely disapointed since we would have really liked to have dinner here, based on reviews and word of mouth. I can definetly say that I will NOT try to return and I will tell anyone I can to not go to Shebeen.

3  Thank surgerychick21
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

At Shebeen we pride ourselves on great service. To say I am disappointed in a recent guest's experience would be an understatement. We will be having a front of house training session to ensure that none of our valued guests are over looked again.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Shebeen is a realyl great place if you want authentic cuisine you cannot find elsewhere. The spices, meats, marinades, and all are greatly influence by that area of the country. Some place will loosely use the term "authentic cuisine" and it not be close but Shebeen really is of that part of the world. I think the owner goes back quite often so he is always on top of all of the authentic flavors. it also seems they give a lot back to that part of the world as well. The Roasted Red Pepper Hummus was delicious. I had the Curry Corn Chowder and it was spicier (in a good way) that what i was expecting. The meat entree (forgot the exact item) was also very good. In addition to lunch, I have also been to lunch on a couple occasions as well. I got the Boerie Burger each time and was pleased!

Overall, Shebeen is is an outstanding gem that can go missed if you're not looking for it. Walk in the door and you are taken away to South Africa. The decor and food are spot on.

1  Thank TomCat27
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I had the Sosatie, and the lamb, chutney and yogurt sauce were amazing...I thought the yellow rice was average, but I cannot say the same for the samp and beans - they were bland, and I ate only one bite. My husband's Peri Peri chicken was good but definitely spicy, and the mealie pap (cheese grits) were absolutely delicious. If I ever make it back, I will be sure to order them and steer clear of the beans.

1  Thank Terra C
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This place has really wonderful food and service but don't look around to closely you will realize they have never dusted- in years- a thick layers of grime covers everyceiling tile and decor item in this place.

1  Thank mimi1971