“well, the company was good....” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tastings

Tastings
Reserve with OpenTable
Tastings is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #126 of 538 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: When Tastings started in 1990 it was the only fully integrated Wine Shop/ Wine Bar/ Restaurant on the East Coast. About twenty years later, there is still only a handful of establishments in the U.S. such as Tastings. Besides being an outstanding wine shop in its own right as well as a fine restaurant, Tastings offers a large selection of wines by the glass. Wines are offered in flights for experimentation with a meal for a modest fee over the retail price of wines in the shop. Tastings' restaurant serves simple, direct cuisine that allows each customer a gustatory and educational experience in a friendly but professional fine restaurant.
Charlottesville, Virginia
“well, the company was good....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

I went here for Valentines day and was very excited to finally try it. We live right down the street. I read the reviews and shrugged it off - I think people tend to be too hard on the service when reviewing. I care about the food and wine way more than if someone was attentive, if I had to wait, or whatever. I was determined to like it. When I first sat down, I heard a clang and saw a used spoon on the floor from the last person's dessert. No worries, I thought as I slid it out of the way, this is going to be great. The best part about the dinner was my date, and then the wine which was just alright. They have flights of three half glasses so you can taste three burgundy wines together, or pinot noirs from different areas of the world and so on. I was excited by that but sadly the wine list was out of date so they had to substitute 2 of the 3 wines in the flight and didn't actually tell me what they were, although he said that he would come back and tell me. But never did, which was disappointing.

Still determined to love it, we both ordered the Wild Boar Osso. It came with a salad. Greens with wedges of tomato that had been cut with a very dull knife with a vinaigrette. Which, was, alright. I guess. The boar was pretty bad. The sauce was okay, the boar tasted like the dry pot roast that your grandmother makes but you eat anyway because you love her. I hate to say it, but it was the worse $100 meal I've ever had. By far. It tasted like it was cooked by someone with no experience in a restaurant kitchen, let alone a nice restaurant. I might consider going back for a wine tasting after the update your list. We left and I made another dinner which was better.

The atmosphere (another thing I try not to pay too much attention too) was also pretty bad. The ceiling tiles were falling off, the decor was old and didn't match, there was so much bad art on the wall you couldn't see the wall, etc etc.

As someone that lives on the downtown mall, I implore you to eat somewhere else. Cassis, Zo-ca-lo and le petit bistro all have similar price points and food is... not even comparable. Not to mention service, ambiance and cleanliness. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need other ideas of places to go! If your interest is wine, you might try it for a tasting, or go to Market street wine shop (one block down) for great free wine tastings every friday night.

1 Thank fanfoodie

Calgary, Canada
“Unique wines if you're interested”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

Tastings offered a one stop place to try a sampling of Virginia wines without having time or knowledge to tour around the vineyards. We came away disappointed with the wine (our call to do only VA wines), they offer many, many other choices. Our sever was limited in knowledge which did not help our selections.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I like wine and I like food. But I really like people who like wine and food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

Tastings was suggested by a friend who lives in the area when I asked him for a recommendation for a local place with a good wine list and good food. Not only was he right on both counts, but we received a course in dry white wines and Oregon wines worth twice the price of dinner, which was delicious. Much nicer than the expensive french place around the corner.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

We had one of our worst dining experiences ever at this place. The food and wine selection were very good but the service was so horrible we left no tip. Our server rolled her eyes at us when we asked about our dinner after waiting almost 2 hours and blamed us for not telling her earlier that we needed to catch a show and wanted to hurry things along.

1 Thank Virginiafoodie