“Very nice location of my favorite near-premium chain”

Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed August 25, 2012

All HGI's I have stayed at have been virtually identical, and that is a good thing. The lobby downstairs is surprisingly big, with varied conversation areas and decent furniture. The breakfast area/small bar is also larger than competitors, and generally nicer. The staff is professional and efficient.

The rooms are higher quality and well designed---someone actually thought about what you need, and what you don't need, esp at the desk. Nice flatscreen, nice mattresses, very clean. I was in Cville for UVA movein weekend, so the price was north of what I would expect, but I was happy to get it.

The reverse side of the hotel looks out on a pond with two resident swans, and up the hill is one of the nicest looking hospitals in the country, the Martha Jefferson.

Breakfast in the morning features a nice selection of "grab and go" type stuff plus also a made to order selection of omelette, eggs, waffles, etc. The bacon and sausage are first rate, and being in the almost South as we are, has bisquits and white gravy, or chipped beef, etc.

The place was busy in the morning and the cook lost my order, which caused me a great deal of consternation, as I saw fancy omelettes and waffles being whisked out to waiting tables, but my simple "2 eggs" somehow stumping the chef, or at least, the system. The wait staff was appropriately apologetic, but this type of thing does not general good will.

Don't get me wrong---I'm very positive about this place, and will stay here again. The location is higher on the hill, and thus a little farther from the madding crowds and traffic below, and I'm perfectly OK with that. It is next to a steak place called "Topekas", but we didn't go.

Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank StandsWithFist
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Great experience at this very nice and what seems like a new hotel. Very clean, friendly and helpful staff. Not situated within walking distance to the University or Historic town it is still a great place to stay - very comfortable. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed here for a night and will be staying here again. Very clean, updated, great staff and the rooms are excellent. Got a chance to have dessert and a few drinks at the small restaurant and while a little pricey, food and drink were fine. The location is close (driving, not walking) to shops and restaurants and not too far from the UVA campus. No complaints.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights from the 11 July 2012. We loved where The Hotel was situated. We had a suite, this consisted of a big sitting room, big bedroom, very large bathroom which had an enormous bath tub, separate shower and toilet. With a sink of course. There was a closet in the bedroom and one in the sitting room. By the room door was another room which had a toilet and sink in side. At one end of the sitting room was a sink fridge and microwave. The hotel was very clean and friendly. The view of the lake was lovely. We were able to shut the door between the sitting room and bedroom at night, so it was very quiet. Even though the Hotel was full. We were charged 841.50 dollars. This is not cheap. For the size of the suite we think this was fair.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking The Lake.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

What a nice hotel. From the friendly smile at check in to the push button check out, this has to be the best of the chain hotels in Charlottesville.

The hotel looked and smelled brand new yet it's been there for years. Nice workout room and indoor pool. Steakhouse next door. Restaurant in lobby. Easy access to I64 and other attractions in town. Walking trails around the surrounding ponds and lakes.

Mr room was spotless with a flat screen tv with Direct Tv channels. Microwave and fridge in room.

The only reason I did not give it five stars across the board is because the bed was hard as a rock. My travel partner complained about his bed too. The adjustment controls did not work to adjust the stiffness of the mattress.

I will be returning soon on my next trip to C'ville here I will stay!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Choochoo20
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here on our way to Washington D.C. We decided to take a little side trip and visit Monticello, but where to stay? It was a UVA football weekend, and choices were scarce. On the outskirts of town and near the interstate, we found the Hilton Garden Inn. The staff was pleasant, the lobby clean and quiet. We were holding our breath, wondering when our luck would run out. Once we got to the room, we realized that luck would have nothing to do with this stay. The room was tidy with all the conveniences of home. The bed was the icing on the cake -- bar none, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on! If you're going to be in Charlottesville, and want to stay at a wonderful hotel, you have to stay here. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Very nice. We only ate breakfast, but the staff was very pleasant and the eggs were great. It was clean, the decor is very cool and updated. Front desk staff was so professional.

• Stayed: July 2012