“Good food, good people watching”
Review of Zo.ca.lo

Zo.ca.lo
Reserve with OpenTable
Zo.ca.lo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 628 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Street NE and East Main Street
Reviewed August 5, 2018

Zocalo is a great place to sit outside and watch the active urban street scene. The food is good and the service is attentive and pleasant. The waitperson was willing to make a substitution in our entree, swapping out a starch for some vegetables. The swordfish special was quite good.

Reviewed June 23, 2018 via mobile

The bouncer at zocalo turned my friend and myself away because he thought she had too much of an “attitude” he was rude and very dismissive. I would recommend not going here! He let in various other men in front of us. I’m not sure what his problem was.

Reviewed June 22, 2018

As a Cville resident I'm not sure why I hadn't eaten here before. Well, I had, but a l-o-n-g tome ago, and I am so happy to have rediscovered it. The ambiance is warm and comfortable, it's spacious, the service was very pleasant and attentive. Foodwise-- the cheese fritters are a hot commodity-- we saw platter after platter being served (and they are very good!). Zocalo's menu includes many of the same apps and entrees you can find anywhere, but with interesting twists on flavor combinations that make it interesting. I enthusiastically recommend the beet and blue cheese salad. I also had a wonderfully flavorful yellow tomato and cucumber gazpacho. My dining companion loved his duck as well as the accompaying swiss chard, savory bread pudding and port compote.
Excited to add this to my 'regular' list!

Reviewed June 7, 2018 via mobile

We were seated at a shared wrap around table (wrap around a big tree) outside. Very nice atmosphere. Little bit off the main pedestrian mall but still close to the actions.
Food were fantastic. We had lamb loin and rockfish. Tasty.

Reviewed May 27, 2018

Surpassed my expectations! There was a bridal party in the dining room with us; it had no effect on our service or noise level. Julia was responsible for multiple tables but made us feel like we were the only table she had - unbelievable! The soft shell crab special was amazing and wine recommendations spot on! We will be back!