“Clean and quiet”
Review of Oakhurst Inn

Oakhurst Inn
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I made last minute reservations the morning we wanted to stay. I have had poor experiences with larger chain hotels so this seemed like a great choice and I reserved a king superior room for one night. When we got to the hotel around 9:30 the young man at check in said there was a problem with the room we reserved and politely apologized then showed us two other rooms for us to choose from. One was a very tiny room with a king sized bed and the other was a room with a queen sized bedroom with a separate sitting/living room in suite. We chose the queen because although it was a smaller bed (my boyfriend is 6'5") it had more space with the room size, although I was a little off put because I specifically reserved what the nice girl on the phone called a spacious room with a king sized bed. While the room wasn't what I was expecting I am glad they gave us the option to choose a room and we weren't stuck with the tiny other room. We did end up paying the same price as the king superior room, although I'm not sure what the room we got was comparable to. The bed size ended up not being a problem although I did have to squeeze myself into the far size of the room which wasn't an that much of an issue for me as I am a petite person but it was awkward. I was extremely happy with how clean the accommodations were. The bed was especially comfortable and I liked the individual air conditioners in both the living and bed rooms. We left shortly to pick up dinner to go and returned to find cookies and turn down service in our room. The only problem is there was really nowhere to store our leftovers so we were forced to leave pizza and takeout boxes out on the desk over night. I would suggest putting a small fridge and a large trash can in the rooms for future guests because there was no snacks available near the room. However, there was a small fridge outside the room in a shared sitting area stocked with San pelligrino beverages, water, and an espresso machine. We enjoyed and took advantage of these beverages to accompany our dinner. Another nice surprise was malin+goetz bath products available for us to use in the spacious bathroom which I very much enjoyed. I had to inquire about wifi at the front desk later hat night and they gave me the password as there was no information in the room, and the wifi ended up being kind of slow. While the inn was quiet and very clean I'm not sure it warranted the fairly steep price tag. The decor was stark, with weird abstract sketches to decorate, but it was comfortable for the one night stay. All the rooms were very compartmentalized in the buildings and I felt that if the place was full people would probably feel on top of each other. Oakhurst says it's a luxury boutique hotel but I think the luxury was lacking. If you're looking for a b&b with a little more privacy I would suggest it, but not if you're looking for a high class luxury stay.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mudge90
Phillip S, General Manager at Oakhurst Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2014

We are very glad to have your feedback and review. Thank you for choosing the Oakhurst and thank you for taking time to submit this post. We are always excited to welcome travelers who are looking for something beyond what the big chains have to offer.

I want to apologize that the room you chose was out of order. It can be a heartbreaking experience. We have all brand new systems in our newly renovated hotel, and yet still we are not immune to the occasional technical misfortune. I truly appreciate your patience and I am glad to know that you enjoyed the upgrade to a suite even though the king sized bed was not available.

I want to thank you for reaching out to our 24 hour front desk staff with your questions. We are always happy to respond to any question.

Thank you again.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

This place has a lot going for it other than the obvious–it's a 5 minute walk to the UVA lawn, which if you haven't seen it, is well worth the trip. The students weren't in yet so the place was utterly deserted.

The hotel itself is quite lovely. The rooms are brand new and consequently sparklingly clean. The bathrooms are quite large. I rented two rooms for my family: a queen suite and regular queen room. Both were on the upper floor of the lobby building. There was a lovely anteroom in between with seating and complimentary beverages. The front desk staff, all students, were charming and very helpful with luggage, et al. Since it was a Friday night, we didn't have to worry about valet as the next morning was Saturday.

If I were a UVA parent, this would become my go-to place.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank roscoe301
Phillip S, General Manager at Oakhurst Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Thank you for these warm words. We love being in the heart of Charlottesville, surrounded by the University grounds and within walking distance to so many shops and attractions, but nothing sounds better to my ears than to hear about the helpful, friendly service of our staff. You have my thanks. I am so very proud of this team.

Thank you again. We hope to see you on your next visit to Charlottesville.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed at the Inn for a weekend gateaway to visit my sweet niece. The inn exhudes quality and good taste. The rooms were renovated with beautiful updates and very taseful decor. (Sort of mini Westin Hotel feel.) Each floor had a quaint library for relaxation. Flat TV screens in the rooms and amazing showers with lovely shampoos and soaps. The food was exceptonal with organic and local choices. Carrot Ginger Juice and fresh made granola. Fantastic! Will stay again for sure!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for this wonderful review. Our renovations on Oakhurst Circle were seven years in the making! We wanted to preserve the wonderful history and blend it with cool, contemporary design. It is a great pleasure to read of your appreciation for finished product and I am so glad to know how much you enjoyed your experience at the Oakhurst Inn.

Our cafe opened in May and we will begin serving lunch on August 18th, step by step unveiling more ways to surprise and delight our guests. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing on your next trip to Charlottesville.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed at the Oakhurst Inn during UVA new student summer orientation. Booking was easy over the internet and about one week before arrival we received an e-mail with some helpful hints. The inn is contained in several renovated old homes on a cul-de-sac just south of the Lawn and near the medical center. Check in was simple. Our two-room suite had a very comfortable queen bed and a sitting room with pull-out sofa. The room was spotless and very well furnished and maintained. A/C and fans worked very well. The bathroom was small and had no ventilation, but was very clean and had new, modern fixtures. Lighting in the room was a challenge because the lights themselves were dim and we found it difficult to keep the blinds open because adjacent properties were very close and the room would not be private with the blinds open. People in the adjacent houses could easily see into our room since we were on the first floor. Not a problem, just a reality.

The best parts of the Oakhurst are the large libraries with great selections of book, soft music, an espresso machine (gratis) and a small fridge for personal use and also containing water and sodas (gratis). While our room was small for 3 people, the library provided us with plenty of space to read or use our laptops/Ipads. Wifi throughout the property worked very well.

Service was fantastic and the little breakfast restaurant down the steps and path was also wonderful. One special point on service: a thunderstorm knocked out power (including a/c of course in summer) on our final night. We decided to leave and stay somewhere else (it was incredibly hot without a/c). The Oakhurst's management did not charge us for that night, which was very gracious of them since it was well past 9:00 p.m. when this happened.

Parking is a challenge. Parking is available right in front from 5 p.m. to 6 a.m. weekdays and all weekend long. However, if you are there during business hours, you need to give your car to the Inn for valet, at a cost of $20.00 per day and some inconvenience (you have to wait 10-15 minutes for your car).

Finally, though parking is a problem, if you are there for UVA-related matters, parking is irrelevant. You can walk anywhere on central grounds in under 5 minutes.

In sum, the Oakhurst is a wonderful new edition to C'Ville. We really enjoyed our stay, but wanted to be sure to point out a few of the challenges.

Room Tip: I would try to stay upstairs for more privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank raftingman

Thank you for this thoughtful review! We take great pride in our customer service. It is always a pleasure to welcome incoming students to the University of Virginia and an especially great treat to welcome the family. Congratulations again on your admission to the University! We'll see you here for our GAME DAY cookout!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Oakhurst Inn had several things going for it. Beautifully restored buildings, friendly staff, lovely sitting areas stocked with water, books, papers, etc. However, there were several things not so great. We booked 6 rooms for three nights each. While our room was ok with a big bathroom, some in our group had even tinier rooms, and at least one couple had a suite. The biggest problem with our stay was the construction right outside our window. They started up at 7:00 am and went all day, even on the weekends. So there was absolutely no sleeping in or napping during the day. Plus, we had to keep the blinds drawn the entire stay, which made the room very dark due to inadequate lighting. The Inn did write us a nice note and offered us a free breakfast on our last morning....not very useful considering we were all traveling home that day and were leaving before the restaurant opened. Although the Inn is not really convenient to the downtown mall area (we were able to walk but several in our group could not), Charlottesville has a trolley shuttle but no one was ever able to figure out the schedule. Having the valet parking meant not having easy access to our car during our stay. I think the Oakhurst Inn has potential. The adjacent restaurant is really good with an interesting menu, the rooms are tastefully decorated and at least some of them are roomy, but the prices they charge are just not worth it.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the front circle
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

I am very pleased to announce the end of Construction! Our renovations have been under way for the last seven years and construction next door crossed the finish line August first with tenants all moved-in and the last contractors off to their next jobs! After all this time of feeling not quite there, it is a great pleasure to enjoy the quiet comfort of our extensive efforts - Modern design with historic charm. Thank you very much for this thoughtful review. We hope to see you on your next trip to Charlottesville.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

As soon as we entered, we were greeted by the wonderful staff in the office adjacent to the front sitting room. There was another guest comfortably reading in the sitting room. We stayed upstairs in building 100, and we were escorted upstairs to our room. There were two other guest rooms upstairs with a common sitting room shared by the three rooms. In the upstairs and downstairs sitting areas, there was a mini fridge (stocked with waters, lemon / lime drinks, and had available space for guest items / leftovers), an espresso machine, books, and national / local newspapers. We were there in the summer, so some of the hosts were UVA students who were professional in dress and demeanor and very accommodating. We enjoyed meeting Sarah and Sam, who were working during our stay.

We had a one bedroom suite. Our room's living area and our bedroom each had an indoor wall-mounted AC unit, which we were able to control. We had three closets: one in the bedroom, one in the hall between our living area and bedroom, and one in our living area. The living area had a microfiber love seat and chair, ottoman, end tables, lamps and flat screen TV. Our bedroom had a full-size bed, dresser, fold down bedside tables with outlets and lights and a flat screen TV. We inquired about ice, and the hotel staff brought an bucket of ice to our room. Each night we had turndown service, which included a nice packet of soft gingerbread cookies. The bathroom was very modern and compact with no fan, but the ceiling fan above the bed was sufficient. We had four plush bath towels, two hand towels and two face towels. There was bar soap at the sink and shampoo / conditioner / liquid bath soap pumps in the shower. The shower was rectangular with a glass wall with an opening to enter (no sliding door / shower curtain). The shower knob was on the opposite wall as the rain showerhead. The shower floor could be a little slick for those with unsure footing. The toilet was European with the two-button flush.

Prior to our arrival, we received an email alerting us to construction next door, which was projected to be finished by the end of July. We were offered complimentary breakfast at their cafe and a room upgrade (if available). The breakfast was wonderful and the cafe staff was quite pleasant. There was ample seating indoors as well as outside on the patio, which had umbrella covered patio tables seating four each and many flowering pots. The menu items were eclectic, made-to-order (without substitutions, unless there were food allergies), and included buckwheat pancakes and mimosas, a personal favorite. We were out and about during the day, so the construction did not bother us. My husband did hear people walking by on JPA at 1 am, but it wasn't anything that kept him from falling back asleep.

Parking down JPA, a busy street, was readily available and an easy walk up some stairs, around the back of the cafe and to the Inn. If you have trouble with stairs, I would recommend using their valet service.

I would definitely stay here again! We have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on The Corner and at the Omni on the Downtown Mall. It's nice to feel as if you are away from the crowds on The Corner and Downtown Charlottesville, but close enough to enjoy the shops and venues of both of those areas. We enjoy walking, so we walked to the Downtown Charlottesville Mall (less than 2 miles away) via UVA and The Corner.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tammy T

Thank you so much for this warm and thoughtful review. Of all the amenities we try to make available, the comfort and convenience, the clean design and quality of furnishings, it is the responsiveness of our staff for which I am most proud. I truly appreciate your review and I want to thank you for taking the time. We hope to see you on your next visit to Charlottesville.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Just checking out from the Oakhurst Inn, a short walk from UVA. Was in Charlottesville for a workshop at UVA, and it was such a pleasure to relax in such a nice place after three long days of intellectual activity! Their wifi password says it all ;-)
The proprietor and staff are amazingly attentive and friendly. As others have said, the hotel is several converted OLD houses, but with all the modern conveniences. The building and grounds are kept spotless. There's a library stocked with books and free beverages (no wine, but Pellegrino, bottled water and an espresso machine.) The rooms are quite comfortably furnished, and have overhead fans as well as A/C. And there are OUTLETS IN THE NIGHTSTANDS so you can CHARGE YOUR PHONE CONVENIENTLY while you sleep!!! (at least in my room ;-)
The café has wonderful and creative food ... not your normal hotel fare. There was some construction going on next door, so they threw in a free breakfast! Not really necessary, since I was gone during work hours, but much appreciated.
Moreover, I got stuck in Dulles for the night I was supposed to check in, and they didn't charge me for that night (even though I didn't know I wasn't going to make it to Charlottesville until well after the cut-off time to cancel my room) ... also not necessary but VERY MUCH appreciated.
Anyway, I highly recommend this hotel. For other professors visiting UVA, seriously TRY IT OUT.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank djrTrips

I truly appreciate this excellent review. We've had several local craftsman design and build many of the furnishings here, including the cherry bed frames with drop down night tables and power outlets built-in! Our Head Chef has worked very hard on our menu as well, sourcing local ingredients and designing courses intended to surprise and delight every guest. Wait until you see what she has in store for lunch!

We are very much looking forward to your return visits to Charlottesville and hope we can host you here in our boutique hotel beside the University. Again, thank you.