“I can say we ate there”
Review of Michie Tavern

Michie Tavern
Ranked #1 of 24 Shopping in Charlottesville
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic tavern (ca. 1784) originally located on Patrick Henry's land. Living-history tours are conducted on the grounds of its current location near route Va 20.
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We liked that after touring Monticello that there was a place to relax and eat. However, it is just cafeteria food. It is way to heavy for a daytime meal. We stood in line outside and once in the door, you are in the cafeteria line. What I really didn't like was that you get your tray, fill your dish and then you have to look for your own table. It was crowded and we went from dining room to dining room looking for a seat. Several tables are reserved for bus groups. What is good, is that once you are seated, the staff comes around asking if you want more chicken, biscuits, etc. You can eat as much as you want. The beverages and dessert are extra. Our bill for two was $49 + tip. Would I eat there again? Yes, because it is part of history and by the time we would have left the grounds and looked for a place to eat we would have wasted time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

Reviewed October 18, 2011

If you are in the area this is a great lunch or dinner. You may have to stand in line to get in because it is a very popular place to eat. It is worth the wait.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

The food was delicious and plentiful. The waitress couldn't do enough for us, bringing us seconds and more. The staff is dressed in costume and the tavern is quaint. We also enjoyed shopping in the adjoining cabins. I loved the pewster shop and bought a salad bowl. I would definitelly suggest eating lunch there especially if visiting nearby Monticello.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I grew up in Charlottesville and have been here many times. It's down the mountain from Monticello (which is a must see), and is a great place to visit after seeing Jefferson's home to tour and eat lunch. The food isn't cheap, but there's lots of it and is great southern comfort food. While you're in the city, be sure to see UVA and walk around Jefferson's beautiful Rotunda.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

After a lovely day at Monticello, we came to Michie Tavern for lunch. It is a buffet that costs about $16 per person without drinks or dessert, which is why I say it is pricey. The buffet didn't have a huge variety but the food was great!!! It was a fun experience, I'd recommend going here but only if you aren't on a tight budget.

1  Thank 2SightSeeing