“Great food- slow service”

Shadwell's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Shadwell's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 563 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Shadwells Restaurant takes it's name from Thomas Jefferson's birthplace, Shadwell Estate. Shadwells lies in the shadow of Jefferson's Monticello in Charlottesville and embraces his vision of using local fresh ingredients. Known for their incredible seafood inspired from the Chesapeake Bay and juicy hand cut steaks, Shadwells offers outstanding cuisine, friendly service and reasonable prices. Fine dining in a casual atmosphere. Local dining at it's best!
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The food is fresh and delicious- like their sweet potato biscuits. Amazing. At the same time the service is painfully slow and somehow inept. The price is moderate to low high so I would expect better service. Still, I will try them again and hope they get that right because the food is worthy.

3  Thank seanmhorn

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I will start by saying that I liked my meal. The other two in my party thought theirs was so-so. The biggest issue is that our waitress would rarely leave us alone. I appreciate attentive service, but she would come talk to us and just stand there many times, so we never felt we could ever eat in peace. She also stood there awkwardly when she brought our check as if she was waiting for us to pay before walking off instead of letting us do it when we had time to ourselves. So we had to hurry and look at the check, grab our credit card, etc, to give to her right away. We had similar awkwardness when ordering our food...we weren't ready to order, but felt forced into it.

It was also weird because she made a comment about the rolls being smaller than usual, but instead of bringing us more than one each to make up for the tiny size, she only brought one each. Why bring up the small size and not make up for it? Very odd.

I wouldn't have minded trying some more of their meals, but I don't think the others in my party will be up to going back after the uncomfortable experience we had.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Charlottesville has an amazing high number of really outstanding restaurants. Average restaurants don't stand a chance. Our first visit to Shadwell's was disappointing. Unless they can up their game, they won't last very long.

To start with something positive, our server was good...knowledgeable and attentive.

I ordered the 9 oz. Sirloin (and it came with 2 sides). The caesar salad was good but really small. The steak initially came undercooked but that was remedied. The steak was not very tasty and it was very tough. i've had much better steaks at Outback...for a lot less. The baked potato was fine.

They were also out of the wine I ordered, so I ordered the next lower-priced cab. They brought and charged me for the highest price cab. I vowed I would not let this mistake affect my review but I did want to mention it.

My wife ordered one of the fish specials served with rice and asparagus. The rice was dry and would have benefited from being served under the fish with its ginger sauce. The fish was encrusted...with almost too many seeds. She called it "OK". but would not order it again.

I don't think it is fair to give up on a restaurant after one try...unless it was a disaster. And this was not a disaster. The dishes we ordered just fell short of what we expected. We'll go back for another try as there are a lot of interesting items on the menu,,,and I want to see if they ever got that cab ordered.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Staff had no training on service. Fish was undercooked/raw. Many items were "out." Prime Rib had lots of fat & gristle and was thickly coated on both sides with MSG which is a serious health problem for those with high blood pressure. It was a total waste of $158.00!! The two of us had a mostly sleepless night, sweating and tossing and turning from the MSG overload and the very unpleasant rip off!!

Diarrhea lasted for two days!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Had recent visit to Charlottesville VA, during their Restaurant Week. We checked out the restaurants on TripAdvisor and picked Shadwells. I thought it the best food I've ever had. The service, with Ciera, was great, too. We had a bottle of Moscato for the table - reasonably priced and delicious. Several of us started with the She Crab soup - creamy and lots of crabmeat - so good! The bread was wonderful, also. Others got the crabcake appetizer and the scallop appetizer - both very enjoyable. We all chose the filet medallions as an entree and it was done to perfection (med. rare). It could just about melt in the mouth. For dessert, each couple got a chocolate souflee and a cherry cheesecake. The cheesecake was quite good but, being a chocoholic, the souflee was "to die for". We'd go back just for that. We now have relatives in the area so we hope to go back often. Can't wait to try some other menu items at Shadwells.