“good sandwiches!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I just ate at Ace today for lunch and had the Ace Dip. It was very good. I'm normally not a huge pulled pork bbq fan - I prefer texas style beef brisket or Kansas city ribs, but this was very good. A generous amount of pulled pork with carmelized onions and cheese, and a very tasty sauce. I'll gladly go back!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This great little place makes almost everything in-house, including much of their meat - from the breakfast sausage, to mexican chorizo, oak-smoked pulled pork, slow-cooked turkey breast, and pit beef. Biscuits are made fresh daily and eggs are cooked to order. Ace's biscuits do not disappoint. Ace is quite small, with one 6-person table in the middle and bar-style seating for about 8 more guests along 2 walls.
That said, the food here is great! The sausage had the perfect texture and the right amount of spice and sage flavor to keep me wanting more. The breakfast menu is wonderful -- eggs, pancakes, waffles cooked to order.
The barbecue just may be the best in Charlottesville!

1  Thank Banjoman2007
Reviewed September 5, 2013

At "Cheers" everybody knows your name - Ace Biscuit & Barbecue is like that. Ace opened in August of 2012 but it is clearly destined to become a classic BBQ joint. Small brick box in an industrial section on the edge of the Rose Hill neighborhood. The high energy and super friendly staff contribute to the working class atmosphere of this breakfast/lunch spot. The old utilitarian building is small but clean. There's some limited seating; but it's probably better to think of Ace as a takeout place. The price and selection of the menu puts Ace near the top of my list of great lunch values. Barbecue is a very individual thing and I just can't give Ace 5 stars because I prefer a slightly different style of BBQ. It's not bad at all, just not my absolute favorite. Just west of the train tracks on Henry between Harris St. & Forest St.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Coming from Missisippi with a swarm of Delta and Memphis-style Barbeque places around, I've gotten the chance to be very picky about good pulled pork. The first year we lived here, I was hurting for a good spot and none of the others were really good enough. That has changed now that Ace is in town. The charred, smoked, pulled pork was spot on, and there were also lots of different sauces to choose from so I could have my deep south style. Other than the pulled pork, everything else was also fantastic. It's a great spot for breakfast (get a biscuit and pile it high with eggs, meat, veggies..) or lunch. Unfortunately, they are NOT open past 2 or on Sundays so I have been nearly as often as I would like. The restaurant is pretty small, but there's a nice patio outside and they seem to make a lot of to-go orders.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but here's a BBQ place where the Q doesn't taste like anything. The pooled pork sandwich I got was a tasteless mess. I was told the sauce was based on root beer but the taste was so watered down, I didn't get a hint of anything. I've eaten some of the best Q in the US. This place is down in the lower 10% range in terms of quality.

I've also had breakfast here with a friend. He had fried eggs. I had a sausage and egg biscuit. My hand was literally coated with grease. His plate had pools of the stuff. We both agreed it was the single greasiest meal of our lives.

Having said this, the staff are extremely kind and polite. The service is great. The food needs work though.

1  Thank T W