“Best in C'ville City Limits”

Ace Biscuit & Barbecue
Ranked #70 of 567 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Coming from Missisippi with a swarm of Delta and Memphis-style Barbeque places around, I've gotten the chance to be very picky about good pulled pork. The first year we lived here, I was hurting for a good spot and none of the others were really good enough. That has changed now that Ace is in town. The charred, smoked, pulled pork was spot on, and there were also lots of different sauces to choose from so I could have my deep south style. Other than the pulled pork, everything else was also fantastic. It's a great spot for breakfast (get a biscuit and pile it high with eggs, meat, veggies..) or lunch. Unfortunately, they are NOT open past 2 or on Sundays so I have been nearly as often as I would like. The restaurant is pretty small, but there's a nice patio outside and they seem to make a lot of to-go orders.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but here's a BBQ place where the Q doesn't taste like anything. The pooled pork sandwich I got was a tasteless mess. I was told the sauce was based on root beer but the taste was so watered down, I didn't get a hint of anything. I've eaten some of the best Q in the US. This place is down in the lower 10% range in terms of quality.

I've also had breakfast here with a friend. He had fried eggs. I had a sausage and egg biscuit. My hand was literally coated with grease. His plate had pools of the stuff. We both agreed it was the single greasiest meal of our lives.

Having said this, the staff are extremely kind and polite. The service is great. The food needs work though.

1  Thank T W
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Ace Biscuit is located in what looks like a regular neighborhood. You may drive past without realizing it, so be on the lookout. The place is small, but inviting. There is limited seating, but there is some outdoor seating as well. All drinks were out of cans, no fountain drinks, but who doesn't like cold Cheerwine from a can? The menu is diverse with breakfast all day (there are places where it says it it until a certain time, but those were not accurate). The biscuits are square and peppery, very peppery. You can get bbq and all sorts of other things on your biscuit, from fried green tomatos with pimento cheese to eggs. The Ace Dip is highly recommend and for good reason. It is a big sandwich with smoked, pulled pork with carmelized onions and cheese. The bun is toasted as well and it comes with a smokey gravy dip. This is a great sandwich.

The ribs are good, but without that great bark it had before it sort of steamed up somewhere along the line. The mac and cheese is very good and the backed beans are more like chilli. The only problem I had with the beans is they were a little more al dente than I would like. They had a lot of bite to them.

Overall, great place and I will definately be back to try a little more of everything.

1  Thank GoodFood88
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Just visited Ace Biscuit for the first time...quaint little place on Henry Avenue...I ordered the pulled pork sandwich which was oak smoked, piled high and very good with 7 or 8 different types of sauces to choose from...along with cole slaw and baked beans...the slaw seemed to be vinegar based and freshly made...the baked beans were made with kidney beans as opposed to traditional baked beans...
The thing I found unique was everything ordered was served in what appeared to be a teak salad bowl which unfortunately caused the liquid from the slaw to seep under the bbq bun and in the baked beans which basically altered the taste of everything in the bowl...not impressed with that.
The service was good and everyone was very friendly...probably worth another visit but will ask for items other than the bbq to be on the side.

1  Thank George M
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place has received so much hype, I was not sure if it would live up to expectations but it did!.....and I had the BBQ. I hear their biscuit sandwiches and chicken & waffles are the real deal!

Their hours are not the best for those who do not work nearby as their hours are 8-3 M-F and 9-2 Sat. I made the trip from my downtown mall office. got there just after 11 b/c I hear when Noon hits, good luck! Very small interior but that's what make this place great. Ordered the pulled pork w spicy sauce, cole slaw and potato salad. Everything was fantastic and quick!! Everyone else who was there loved it too and let the cooks know. I really like how the cooks asked every customer after their meal as they were leaving, "how was it?" This place is definitely a must. if you do not know C'Ville then it may be hard to find but make it a mission!

if I had to make one complaint it would be that they did not have their sauces on the table. Not being there before, I was not sure which one to order as they had like 6 or so. I just picked a name that looks good. If they had the squeeze bottle on the tables for people to taste them to find their favorite that would be nice. But that does not take anything away from this superb place!

2  Thank TomCat27