“Wayside Deli - RIP. Go To Bellair Market -- or Subway”

Durty Nelly's Pub - Wayside Deli
Ranked #237 of 584 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Something terrible has happened to Wayside Deli and it's very sad. It used to be a truly great place. Moved by nostalgia, and in a hurry, I chose Wayside. Owner was having a party for a club he belongs to, and the only sandwich maker was swamped. After 15 minutes, I asked if my "to go" could slide in between others staying for party. "Sorry, first come first serve." Gave me too much time to see the dirt, lack of actual shaved meats, bad food handling. I'm a pretty adventurous traveler - but this would flunk a basic health inspection. Just as I was going to cancel my order (25 minutes), my sandwich emerged. I was so grossed out, though, I chucked it. Rest In Peace Wayside. Do yourself a favor - go to Bellair Market.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

It lives up to its weird name. The place is dirty, the food below average and the staff probably took the day off when we were there. They were slow, uninterested and frankly bored. To be avoided in future.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I haven't been to Durty Nelly's in years, but we went last night to see Stroke Volume play their first gig. The place looks the same: tables along one wall opposite the bar, fireplace blazing with a toasty wood fire, TVs in the corners to watch the game, band playing in the far corner, pinball machines in the back room, UVA students crammed into the place to see their classmates play cover songs. Kitchen was closed so we couldn't get a sandwich, but the beer tasted good. I was afraid that we would get blown away by the band, but they kept the volume down to a comfortable level. Best part of the night was sitting by the fire and drinking bear with friends.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This use to be the bomb back in the day. Now it needs to be thouroughly cleaned and santized. The food is okay---good bar food. The music is pretty good too. The bridge construciton has hurt business and you can tell by the stale chips and no one in the restaurant.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Worth the trip for the chicken, but the pub is a great place to hear live music as well.