“Always good and the best dessert pastries in town!”
Review of Bashir's

Bashir's
Ranked #188 of 545 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Always good and the best dessert pastries in town!”
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here for dinner a few times over the last few years, and it is consistently good. This evening they prepared a special Brazilian dish of black beans with meat and sausage to go with the excellent live Brazilian music. It was a very tasty dish, with a little more seasoning than some of their other offerings, and I cleared the plate. As others have mentioned, the owners take care of their customers, and are frequently out in the restaurant, checking without being obtrusive.

The highlight for me are always the home cooked dessert pastries. Tonight I tried the delicious coconut flan - it was perfectly flavored and creamy. Bashir's use natural and fresh ingredients, and you can taste the difference.

I did not order coffee this evening, but can say it is normally just how coffee should be - strong and flavorful without any bitterness.

• Visited November 2013

Richmond, Virginia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worthy of Once in a Lifetime - Wedding Rehearsal Dinner”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I trusted Bashir and Kathy with our wedding rehearsal dinner and they surpassed all of our hopes and expectations for the event. They closed down the restaurant for 50 of our closest friends and family and prepared a buffet of home cooked Mediterranean masterpieces. From appetizers to dessert, it was clear that they took pride in every dish and that they went far out of their way to make sure our dinner was perfect. We are still hearing the rave reviews from our guests a month after the event. The apricot glazed ham was better than any ham I have had anywhere in my life. Tera's favorite dish was the salmon. My dad loved the balaclava. All this was ours for a very reasonable price - better than anywhere else on the pedestrian mall. If you are looking for a unique, memorable venue where the hosts will treat you like family and the food is delicious, Bashir's Taverna will be perfect.

-Rick and Tera

1 Thank Richard B
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here twice now this year while attending the local Friday's after Five with friends and both times the food is worth raving about. My friend said it was the best pork dish he had ever had in a restaurant. The food is Greek/Mediterranean and somehow tastes homemade while also being exotically enticing. The tea is a mint tea (not your normal Lipton) and took some getting used to but was very refreshing after the initial shock. The pricing is good and the portions are perfect for finishing without being stuffed but no doggie bag take home either. The meal comes with sliced (little) bread and dipping oil and the atmosphere is very calming. I recommend this over most other Mall restaurants as the right mix of deliciousness, atmosphere, and price.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Try it - you'll like it”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is one of my husband's and my favorite spots on the Downtown Mall. He usually gets the lamb sausage, I usually get a vegetarian something. On our last visit, he had his usual and I had the Vegetarian Medley special. I asked the waiter to select a mild red wine for me, and he did and it was great. Sorry I can't remember the name - he told me but I didn't write it down. I enjoyed all the various items on my plate - tabbouleh, hummus, dolmas, tzatziki, carrot salad, eggplant salad, pita, and more - and my husband enjoyed his meal. The service is always friendly and unobtrusive.

“Not too exciting”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have been thinking of trying this place for several years, and one reason we haven't before now is that it has never been open when we wanted to try it. They have some odd opening hours, so check that they are open before planning a meal here. The food was OK, but not as exciting as I had hoped for. I was hoping for some new tastes, new spices, but the food was rather plain. The meal came with a salad and an appetizer included, the appetizer being the best part of the whole meal. Service was good and friendly, but the kitchen was slow, it took a long time to get our food even though the place was nearly empty. Good location with outdoor seating possible even when it is rainy.

• Visited July 2013