“Good Food, not so good Manhattan”
Review of Bashir's

Bashir's
Ranked #178 of 553 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
“Good Food, not so good Manhattan”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had a large dinner party at Bashir's, just recently. The restaurant is very cozy, with sofas and pillows along the walls by tables. However, our table was rickety and it was bothersome. The drink orders were disappointing, not only the making of a Manhattan, but some wines weren't available, either. The meals were quite good, everyone was served about the same time. I sensed some tension between the staff when I paid the bill, but it never affected our dining. Our waitress was efficient. This is a local favorite and it was fun to actually meet the chef, who happens to be the owner.

• Visited November 2012

Arlington, Virginia
“A gem!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I visited Bashire’s for lunch. What a hidden gem. Try the vegetarian plate. It comes with a little bit of everything, all of which is delicious. I also enjoyed the baklava. It came warm! The food was well priced, a bargain even! I would love to eat here again - wish I lived closer!!

• Visited September 2012
Ruckersville
“Wonderful Restaurant”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have been here a number of times, for lunch, and have never been disappointed. The atmosphere is great, the service very good, and the food always superb! It's also kid friendly. The owner came out and was so kind. He brought out a peach for my one year old, and then some bread for her. The staff is very friendly and attentive. Highly recommended!!

• Visited August 2012
Bel Air, Maryland
“Interesting cuisine--and belly dancing too!”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Our UVA grad student suggested we try this place, which serves middle-East food. My wife had the apricot glazed ham, which she loved, my daughter had the vegetarian plate, which had a lot of different types of food, and I had the lamb, which I really liked. You get a choice of two appetizers and a Greek salad. I had the gazpacho soup, which I found a little too spicy, while my wife and daughter had a yogurt based starter. I passed on the salad as lettuce disagrees with me. When the entries arrived, they had a plain white rice (the type served in Indian restaurants) with a yogurt based sauce, which was very good, along with a good sized portion of unusual looking vegetables (which I'll admit I didn't eat, sorry Mom ;o)).

We ordered and shared all three of the deserts, a chocolate cake with a caramel sauce, baklava, and almond cookies. All of them were also very good.

On Saturday night they also provide entertainment--a very skilled belly dancer. While the music was taped, the manager also played a drum, which made the performance more dynamic.

Including wine, tax and tip, dinner for the three of us ran $110, which I'd consider a good value.

• Visited June 2012
Tunis, Tunisia
“My favorite restaurant in Charlottesville”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I grew up in Charlottesville, and whenever I'm back in town I make it a point to go to Bashir's for the food, the people and the atmosphere. Right on the downtown mall, it's a great place for people-watching from the terrace or picture windows. (Insiders' tip: during concerts at the Pavilion you can hear the band pretty clearly from the terrace, but make sure to book ahead.) On most Saturday nights a belly dancer performs and Bashir comes out for a bit to play the drums - same goes for the two New Year's Eve evenings I've dined there.

My personal favorite, simple and excellent, is the roasted vegetable sandwich with feta and romesco sauce. To give some idea of how good it is, I have fantasized about it when living in France, Luxembourg and Tunisia. I'd also recommend the veggie (or chicken) pot pie as well as any soup or special offered that day, since the kitchen is creative and takes its specials seriously. Bashir and Cathy also provided the spanakopita and chicken souvlaki for my college graduation party, to rave reviews.

The international feel of the restaurant is part of its appeal. My summer Arabic class came to the restaurant for our final celebration, and we had a great time trying to order in Arabic. Et pour les francophones, ne vous inquiétez pas - Bashir parle couramment français aussi.

Full disclosure: I was a server at Bashir's a few years ago. I'm pretty sure that the meals we got at the end of the day were the best part of the job. I can testify that the restaurant really is a close-knit family-run establishment, with high-quality ingredients, carefully prepared and delicious dishes, and a fun ambiance. I have no hesitations in recommending Bashir's, from a Friday or Saturday night dinner to a lunch stop on a tour of the Downtown Mall.

• Visited March 2012