“Today I remembered why I had not eaten here for two years.”

The Bluegrass Grill & Bakery
Ranked #78 of 552 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Today I remembered why I had not eaten here for two years.”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

You really want Bluegrass Grill to be a friendly and hospitable place. Folks in Charlottesville have been exceedingly generous over the years in their praise and support of this popular breakfast spot. But the long waits, combined with indifferent, sometimes rude service, along with a memorable morning two years ago when Christy the owner slammed her hand down on the counter when I asked for cream, finally convinced me that my patronage was not appreciated. Today I returned with my son, who is home for college, and after waiting 45 minutes for eggs and sausage, which followed a 45 minute wait for a table, I realized what really drove me away for 2 years. The owners and servers seem to despise their customers. Rather than receiving an apology, or even an explanation, when I asked –around thirty minutes in --when the food would arrive, I received a cold stare followed by the remark, "it's going to be 20 more minutes, 4 tickets are ahead of you, would you like to cancel your order"? This must be what Purgatory feels like. The 20% tip I included in my check felt like a small price to pay to break free from this incubator of malaise into the sunlit afternoon.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Binxontheloose

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Breakfast/Brunch is Incredible”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

For breakfast or brunch, this is truly one of the best places I have ever eaten. The Corned Beef Hash is out of this world! French toast is another favorite and their coffee is wonderful. The only negative thing about this place is that they have about 20 seats, so if you're not there 30 minutes before they open, you will not make the first seating.

• Visited December 2013
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“It's what lures me to C'Ville”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Friends recommended this hole-in-the-wall diner and after giving it a try our friendship is cemented. Bluegrass Grill serves breakfast and lunch, they recently added brunch-type adult beverages to their menu. Their food menu is typically of diners but they also have a daily or week flyer-type menu which includes my favorite; The Freight train which is possibly named for the train that passes a few feet from the store but my guess it's name is derived from the mixture of wonderful heart-clogging goodness. Their coffee is good and the cup is bottomless.

Cash or check only.

• Visited November 2013
Virginia USA
“Great Breakfast place in C-ville!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were in C-Ville for parents weekend at UVA and we had heard about this restaurant. So glad heeded the advice to get there before it opens!! We arrived a few minutes before 8 am and there was a small crowd of happy people there, waiting for it to open. We were seated promptly and had our coffee served first so we could look over the menu. The choices were many and they had vegan choices also! We were not disappointed with the food, or the service. We will be back!

• Visited September 2013
Missoula, Montana
“Great, Delicious Lunches”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

On a recent trip to Charlottesville, we went to Bluegrass Grill twice--both weekday lunches, and it wasn't too crowded. We barely looked at the regular menu since there were so many creative, enticing possibilities on the daily specials menu. We really liked our food, the friendly servers, and the chance to wave at and thank the cooks through the pass-through window between the kitchen and seating area. Very nice atmosphere, great food, and very good coffee.

• Visited October 2013