“Excellent southern food!”

Dining options: Breakfast
Bunn, North Carolina
“Excellent southern food!”
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

From the time you walk in they make you feel welcome. The food was some of the best southern home cooking outside of my mama's kitchen. We had the country ham, BBQ ribs, mashed potatoes, green beans, cabbage, and cornbread. All was delicious. We cleaned our plates. The boys got hamburgers and they were hand patted out. Next trip to Charlottesville, we will be stopping by!

1 Thank Vanessa011

MO
“Wonderful Comfort Food”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

We just left Mel's. Stopped here on the way back from DC area. My girls wondered what I'd gotten them into when we first walked in but they were soon impressed with the food and service. We had the mozzarella sticks to start (great value with 8 sticks). My youngest daughter and I had the fried chicken with Mac and cheese, cabbage and mashed potatoes.

The mashed potatoes were amazing. Real potatoes and tasty gravy. Soooo good. The fried chicken was perfect. Outer skin fried to perfection.....

My other daughter and husband had the cheese steak. Tasty with corn and mac and cheese.

Definitely happy we stopped!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank MORachel
Wyoming, Michigan
“Excellent Fried Chicken!”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Found this place on TripAdvisor and wasn't quite sure what to think. I took a chance and it paid off. The fried chicken was incredible, the macaroni was delicious, and the sweet potato pie was a great way to end the meal. Space is limited inside, but the outdoor seating is great. If you like comfort food, it's worth giving Mel's a try.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank BoomerUSA2014
SanFrancisco Bay Area
“Good Southern Home Cooking- great value too!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Excellent fried chicken and country sides (pinto beans, cabbage, greens, corn bread) as well as burgers, fries, onion rings. This is a small local GEM not to be missed if you are in Charlottesville and hungry.

1 Thank ReneeC08
Nevada, Missouri
“Worth every penny! ”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were very pleased with our experience at Mel ' s. OMG....talk about home style cooking! My husband had the Hamburger w/onions and fried potatoes (awesome) and stewed tomatoes ( just like his momma made) I had the liver w/onions and a must - gravy and the fried potatoes (awesome) and greens. Not to mention the rolls- good stuff. If you go away hungry then you're the one that messed up! I loved that Mel talked to us while he cooked. It's a small diner ( would NEVER call this a dive!) Parking is not valet, you will have to walk a bit BUT make the effort for this place, you won't be sorry. I recommend to one and all....will be returning when we're in Charlottesville again.

1 Thank Beth F