“Mmm...fried chicken and Mac and cheese- we wanted to try this type of southern food while visiting the US and were not disappoin”
Review of Mel's Cafe

Mel's Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Staff were so so lovely. Food was nice and very cheap. You get to choose two "vegetables" with any dinner main and this came from an incredible list which included Mac and cheese and potato salad! It was a great experience. The place is obviously popular with the locals, which is a good sign.

1 Thank edinburghstar

Warfordsburg, Pennsylvania
“Loved the Food and Owners”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Mel and Tia made us feel right at home. The fried chicken was moist on the inside and crispy delicious on the outside. The sides are homemade and a soulfood lovers' dream. I highly recommend the Cole slaw. The sweet potato pie was like eating sweet velvety cream. We loved it so much, we stopped on our way home to pick up a whole pie. Tia is the best and is sincerely friendly. You don't want to miss this comfort food experience.

1 Thank 717letsgotraveling
Charlottesville, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best burger in town.”
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Good soul food. Every time I have been it has been excellent. The burger is huge and the best in town, in my opinion. The fish sandwich wasn't that good but the fries, collards, pies and everything else is really good. Cheap and good bang for your buck.

NYC, NY
“Best ribs we ever ate!”
Reviewed July 31, 2010

The place isn't fancy, but if you're up to hangin' with the locals, those bbq ribs are seriously unbelievable. The sides we recommend (and we tried a bunch; they were so affordable!) were the mac and cheese and the cole slaw. We also really liked that lemon pie for dessert! The whole bill for two people (dinner) wasn't more than $20...and we both agreed it was some of the best food we had on our whole vacation! The owners (who seemed to be on a first name basis with everyone in the 'hood!) really charmed us with their sweet, welcoming hospitality as well. This place is authentically southern & "down home." We'll go there whenever we're back in Charlottesville!

North Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great taste and great Price”
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Omigawd, Mel's is definite a place I would recommend to any traveller. I arrange my schedule in my traveling over East just to stop by Mel's Diner. As an author I even had to make room for Mel's Diner in my political fiction on President Barack Obama to be releaesd in late July titled "Going through the changes in the Age of Obama". I mean he has an amazing menu at an economical saving price. I watered down his delicious smothered Chicken with sweet potato pie and chocolate cake that was satisfying to my soul. I had a six hour overlay from Chicago to Greenboro North Carolina transfer trains on Amtrak. After stopping by Mel, my trips have never been the same since my first indulgence their. It made my overlay smoother and left my palate well satisfied. He definitely gives Soulfood Restaurants' in Chicago a run for their money.

Tyrone - Chicago, IL