“Stay Away”
Review of Maharaja

Maharaja
Reserve with OpenTable
Maharaja is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #193 of 563 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and I are big fans of Indian food. Do not waste your money here. The food on the buffet is cool to cold and watch the bone shards in the chicken--you may break a tooth.

1  Thank Elaine N

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Steer clear of this place. If you know nothing about curry, then feel free to visit this place, but if you know what a good curry is, this place will disappoint . I ordered the prawn vindaloo, and the prawns (shrimp) where raw and tasteless. It was the frozen, industrial grade prawns that have a strange texture and completely devoid of any flavour. This was the second time I have been here, and decided to give them a second chance. The curry was exactly the same revolting curry it was the first time I went there. Spend your hard earned cash somewhere else!

1  Thank E B
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I had an excellent dinner. Everything was superb. The Chicken Masala was the best
I have ever eaten. I especially appreciated the fine gradations of spiciness one can request here.
The mild spicy that I requested was spot on for what was served. My wife had the Murgh Tikka and was also impressed. The vegetarian samosas were also very good as was the garlic Nan.

Service was very attentive, and when we told the server we wanted to have the leftovers wrapped
Up to take with us, he gave us a large container of extra Basmati rice. I whole heartedly recommend this restaurant to all who are looking for good Indian food in central Virginia.

1  Thank Frugal_Traveler_9
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I am shocked to see the negative reviews of this place. My wife and I have been here many times over the years and consistently had first-rate meals and prompt, friendly service. This is a long-time Charlottesville restaurant and there are several newer Indian restaurants within a few blocks that are pretty good, but none of them compare to Maharaja for food, price, or service. I will say that the booth seats need replacement, and the restaurant is notably older than its nearbly rivals, but the menu is quite extensive and we have sampled a wide variety of dishes. My wife especially enjoys the vegetarian vindaloo (Indian hot!) and I like the various lamb dishes. They will make any dish with your choice of meats, seafood, or vegetarian and if you want to sample different flavors, you can get half-orders of two entrees. There is also a good selection of Indian beers and wine is available by the glass or half carafe as well as by the bottle.

1  Thank cvillediner
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This restaurant used to be pretty decent, but something happened in the last few years that greatly decreased our interest. There is just no obvious concern how long they make you wait for staff to wait on you. The food is fairly decent, but take my advise and travel a block or so over to Milan Indian Restaurant. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Judysattic