“Sort of Indian” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maharaja

Maharaja
Reserve with OpenTable
Maharaja is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #252 of 538 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Sort of Indian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

Most of the food in here tastes the same, if you know what I mean lots of garam masala in everything so it's hard for those who love Indian cusine not to feel cheated with the experience. But if you are in a hurry for a cheap eat then go for it.

“Dissapointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

From the reviews I expected that Maharaja would be the best choice of the Indian Restaurants in the area--all are close by. There were no reviews on the other two, and Maharaja had 14, so that was our choice. We found the restaurant to be somewhat dirty, and the food was uninspiring. I say this as a fan of Indian food--that's why we drove past maybe 50 restaurants to find this place. Check the reviews on Yelp before you go!

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Charlottesville, Virginia
“My favorite Indian food in all of C'ville. Butter Chicken is divine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

The service is wonderful, the food delectable and the atmosphere is lovely given that it, like many restaurants in Charlottesville, is in shopping center. The butter chicken in so incredible I find I crave it. Try the garlic lamb, the boti kebab, the rogan josh and don't skip the gulab jamon for dessert!

1 Thank wombat1223
“Good food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

A nice little Indian restaurant to visit for the decor and service. Although we are not very experienced with indian cuisine we were happy with our choices. The flavored naan breads are wonderful, my daughter especially loved the garlic flavor. I ordered one side dish that was not delivered, but I was too full to eat it anyway. My husband loves spicy food so he ordered the hottest dish in "indian hot" while mine was mild. Great flavors!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank mome2bri
charlottesville
“Reliable, inexpensive, and tasty Indian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have been to Maharaja 4-5 times and the food has always been delicious. They take the time to assess how hot you want your dishes and seem to have a knack for hitting it just right. The samosa appetizer had a terrific mix of flavors complemented by a yogurt sauce. My wife's chicken vindaloo was very hot, as she prefers, and I enjoyed a medium hot chicken and mushroom masala that was a weekly special. Rice and bread were fine. My only complaint was that the waiter was slow to bring our drinks. The restaurant is a bit hard to find tucked on the far end of the middle island row of stores in the Seminole Square Shopping Center on US 29 (aka Seminole Trail), but there is ample parking near the door. There are several good Indian restaurants in the area, but this one is the oldest, most reliable, and least expensive. There is outdoor seating when the weather is nice and indoors the decor is traditional for Indian restaurants (bright red accented with green and blue). This is relatively small place with a friendly, quiet, casual atmosphere.

• Visited October 2011