“Always a good meal and friendly staff!”
Review of Thai 99

Thai 99
Ranked #140 of 552 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Thai
Smithfield, North Carolina
“Always a good meal and friendly staff!”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We eat here often - both lunch and dinner. Typical of Asian restaurants there is an extensive menu but Thai 99 serves them all well! We find the food always to be freshly prepared and to our taste, the staff friendly and knowlegeable and the prices very fair. The restaurant it's self is a little hard to find as it is "tucked" in a shopping area, but well worth the search! Very pretty and well done inside.

• Visited October 2012

Virginia
“revisited, and charmed by the service”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I last reviewed Thai 99 on Rio Road almost a year ago and wasn't overly impressed. This time, things were much better. Perhaps it's a matter of trying a new dish (and not having high expectations of a favorite that I try at each restaurant)? But I think what was best was the service.

This time I tried a restaurant special called Bangkok Sunset, describe as stir-fried chicken, fresh mango, basil leaves in a spicy tangy sauce. I like a lot of veggies with my Thai food, so I asked if the waiter might add asparagus and carrots (which were part of other dishes on the menu) and go ahead and charge me extra. My dining friend ordered the same dish. Our waiter added the extra veggies to both of our plates and it was a really good dish, hitting "medium-spicy" perfectly. And the white rice was served in a heart-shaped mound. Quite a nice touch.

I'd mentioned it was my friend's birthday, and our waiter gave her a nice birthday greeting. Then, when we were done eating, I saw him approaching from behind her with a birthday dessert complete with candle. I'd not asked for it! He joined me in singing to her. A scoop of Neopolitan ice cream and two banana slices encased in phyllo dough, I believe? Very good.

He not only didn't charge me for the dessert, of course, but he also didn't charge me for the extra veggies. Such charming service. I'm rethinking my earlier review, just to get service like that!

• Visited August 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Really awesome”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I enjoyed every meal at Thai'99 Fontaine location and finally visited this one at Gardens Blvd which I understand is owned differently now though related to one another. We asked and was recommended the smoked duck which turned out to be one of the best Asian dishes that I have ever had. Honestly I am not sure if this is an authentic thai dish but who cares as long as it is good! The rest of the dishes (panang curry, tom yum soup etc) are as good as you can find them in thailand. The atmosphere here is even more traditional than Fontaine.

• Visited May 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
“Healty asian food”
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

This was the first time to taste thaI food for me. First, the soup was served. And then we have ordered different chicken thai foods. I enjoyed thai food but no big difference from regular food. Reasonable price.

“Decent food at good price, but”
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

I am not a Thai food expert, but both the dishes ordered by my wife and I seemed to be lacking flavor. They seemed like they could use either more seasoning or fresher igredients. It wasn't bad, but it was not memorable either. Maybe we should try something different next time. Prices were good though. The hours are a little odd as well