“Old Fashion Diner”
Review of Jak'n Jil

Jak'n Jil
Ranked #193 of 582 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Reviewed June 17, 2014

You could place your order at the counter and go find a table. They have great footlong hotdogs and great fresh coconut cake.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

You seat yourself and the waitress does not come to your table to take your order-waitress took our order at the counter and we had to get up and get our own food. Yes, at the counter; bad service and we will not eat there again. The food was eatable;had better hot dogs at Dairy Queen.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I have eaten here countless times. The food is always fresh and good. They make a killer club sandwich. The Greek salad is always good. They have homemade soup daily. It's a real yocal local place with a variety of regular characters who lunch here. It gets busy during the lunch hour and loud. The owner has interesting Marilyn Monroe memorabilia in a frame on a wall (left center wall). Other than that the decor is on the tacky side; it looks like 1970. But since it's a diner/luncheonette place, my expectations weren't higher than they should be. Good breakfast, too.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I LOVE Riverside burgers, so was not hugely excited about trying something new. I am so glad I did! I ordered a cheeseburger and fries (my normal Riverside choices) and was not disappointed. I would say there are 2 choices for the best burger in Charlottesville. If you want a wonderfully greasy, juicy, diner burger, go to Riverside. If you want a great burger but can't (or don't want to) handle as much grease, go with Jak'n Jil. One thing to note - when you go in order at the counter and then sit down - no one will come to take your order. :)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was craving Liver and Onions. I usually go to Mel's Cafe but I had had it once here and couldn't recall how it was. It wasn't all that. All told the liver was passable and fair. I couldn't get a veggie and had to have fries which I didn't want. The cole slaw was yummy. It came with a salad that was pretty great.