“elegant, yet comfortable, and the best local food you'll find”

The Ivy Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ivy Road
Transit: No public transit
Description: Locally-Inspired Seasonal American Cuisine in an historic house originally built in 1789. Family owned business for 20+ years.
McLean, VA
“elegant, yet comfortable, and the best local food you'll find”
Reviewed October 26, 2009

My husband and I tend to celebrate our special life moments at The Ivy Inn. We were introduced to the lovely restaurant when he and I began dating during our college years living in Charlottesville. Fast-forward several years, Charlottesville is where he proposed, and we went to the Ivy for our celebratory engagement dinner. It was such a memorable evening! We recently returned to celebrate another special event, and we were pleasantly surprised we got the same waitress when we there during our engagement dinner. The staff is so friendly, knowledgeable, and pleasant! It has that 'family-run' feel. The menu is always exceptional. The prices are in line with the quality, preparation, and attention to detail in every plate. The menu changes constantly according to what is in season. This is the BEST place to experience Charlottesville's local produce. We thoroughly enjoyed the pumpkin-stuffed ravioli for appetizer...divine!! For entrees, I had the "rag mountain" trout with wonderful seasonal veggies like sunchokes and butternut squash. My husband had the rack of lamb with a fabulous celery root puree. They really just get everything right here...you can't go wrong. And the house (beautiful old inn painted red) has such charm...whether you eat upstairs in one of the smaller rooms or on the main floor near the fireplace, you feel cozy and comfortable, yet pampered! This is a SPECIAL place... don't hesitate to make your reservation, and enjoy!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great upscale dining in Charlottesville”
Reviewed September 23, 2009

On a business trip to Charlottesville and the Ivy Inn was recommended by a friend as an interesting dining experience. Located right in the heart of the University campus in town, this historic old house has been converted to an inn with a pleasant antique atmosphere. it features haute cuisine with some adventuresome dishes and generally excellent food. The wait staff seemed a bit streched, but they really hustled to provide us acceptable service.

The starters features some interesting dishes like grits with shrimp, grilled cheese sandwiches with lobster mushrooms and a traditional French cheese platter. I tried the green tomato soup with pickled shrimp and crab. It was unique and quite delightful. My friend had a bowl of cioppino and said that it was excellent.

The wine menu was not extensive, but the choices were quite nice, and the prices reasonable. Actually the entire meal was only moderately expensive.

I had a filet with port wine sauce and my friend ordered the rack of lamb. Both were excellent. We finished up with blackberry bread pudding and profiterols. The desserts were just as good as the rest of the meal.

Our total cost was about $65 per person including appetizer, main course, desert and wine. This may be expensive for Charlottesville, but would be a bargain for a similar meal in any major city.

Richmond, Virginia
“All around excellent dining in an inviting, cozy environment”
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I recently dined here in July 2009 with my girlfriend. I had been planning on trying to arrange a nice romantic dinner for a weekend away, and after a recommendation for this restaurant was given to me by our innkeeper, we decided to make reservations and give it a try.

We started with the cheese course and a bottle of Jekel Gewurztraminer (inexpensive but good) and were impressed by the cheeses offered in the sampler of 6. It came with appropriate accompaniments and palate cleansers.

Next up was what, until that time I never knew existed, was called an "amuse bouche" of cherry tomatoes and basil and some type of gelatinized spice that I cannot remember. It was very good.

Next was the usual round of salads, which were good, and then the main course. I had the rack of lamb, and it was spiced and cooked perfectly and was accompanied by small green beans and some most excellent mashed potatoes. My girlfriend had the halibut and succotash dish and she was floored by it herself.

We finished up with dessert, which for me was an ice cream concoction resembling rocky road, and was very good. She had the creme brulee, which, after I tasted it, beat creme brulee I had had anywhere else.

All around, this meal was most excellent, if a bit expensive, but it was more than worth it to support a local small business; especially one that promotes sourcing their food from local farmers and other small businesses.

Greenville, SC
“Dinner with the Parents”
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife & I had dinner last Saturday evening at The Ivy Inn with my parents. Three of us had the mountain trout, which was excellent, and the other the pork chop over risotto, which was excellent as well. All four of us enjoyed our meal. Our waitress was very attentive to our needs and the courses were delivered to the table at appropriate intervals. Excellent wine list and awesome desserts. A great place to sample fresh regional cuisine in Charlottesville. I would definitely come back to The Ivy Inn for another meal.

Richmond, VA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unhappy”
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We planned to host our son's rehearsal dinner party with the Ivy Inn. We booked the location 8 months in advance from recommendations from friends. Our first trip for dinner was good and service fair for a quiet midweek dinner. Two months before the rehearsal dinner, we returned to sample different entrees. The manager greeted us back and stated that one of their best waitress that has been with them for years would be serving us and could ask her any questions. The resaurant was maybe 60% full and it was a Saturday night. Our food was good, but the service was poor. We could hear other guests grumbling about the service. There was no chance to ask our waitress any questions. On our way out we mentioned to the manager that our service was poor. Her comment was "Well, sometimes be are busy!" There was no attempt by the manager in the next few weeks to call us and reassurance that things would be better at our rehearsal dinner. I decided to cancel. I called the Ivy Inn and informed them of wanting to cancel. The girl took the message and asked for my telephone number. No one very called me.

My suggestion is not to use this place for important moments in your life. They don't seem to care!

1 Thank Quiltdragon