“All around excellent dining in an inviting, cozy environment” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ivy Inn Restaurant

The Ivy Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ivy Road
Transit: No public transit
Description: Locally-Inspired Seasonal American Cuisine in an historic house originally built in 1789. Family owned business for 20+ years.
Richmond, Virginia
“All around excellent dining in an inviting, cozy environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

I recently dined here in July 2009 with my girlfriend. I had been planning on trying to arrange a nice romantic dinner for a weekend away, and after a recommendation for this restaurant was given to me by our innkeeper, we decided to make reservations and give it a try.

We started with the cheese course and a bottle of Jekel Gewurztraminer (inexpensive but good) and were impressed by the cheeses offered in the sampler of 6. It came with appropriate accompaniments and palate cleansers.

Next up was what, until that time I never knew existed, was called an "amuse bouche" of cherry tomatoes and basil and some type of gelatinized spice that I cannot remember. It was very good.

Next was the usual round of salads, which were good, and then the main course. I had the rack of lamb, and it was spiced and cooked perfectly and was accompanied by small green beans and some most excellent mashed potatoes. My girlfriend had the halibut and succotash dish and she was floored by it herself.

We finished up with dessert, which for me was an ice cream concoction resembling rocky road, and was very good. She had the creme brulee, which, after I tasted it, beat creme brulee I had had anywhere else.

All around, this meal was most excellent, if a bit expensive, but it was more than worth it to support a local small business; especially one that promotes sourcing their food from local farmers and other small businesses.

Greenville, SC
“Dinner with the Parents”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife & I had dinner last Saturday evening at The Ivy Inn with my parents. Three of us had the mountain trout, which was excellent, and the other the pork chop over risotto, which was excellent as well. All four of us enjoyed our meal. Our waitress was very attentive to our needs and the courses were delivered to the table at appropriate intervals. Excellent wine list and awesome desserts. A great place to sample fresh regional cuisine in Charlottesville. I would definitely come back to The Ivy Inn for another meal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, VA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unhappy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

We planned to host our son's rehearsal dinner party with the Ivy Inn. We booked the location 8 months in advance from recommendations from friends. Our first trip for dinner was good and service fair for a quiet midweek dinner. Two months before the rehearsal dinner, we returned to sample different entrees. The manager greeted us back and stated that one of their best waitress that has been with them for years would be serving us and could ask her any questions. The resaurant was maybe 60% full and it was a Saturday night. Our food was good, but the service was poor. We could hear other guests grumbling about the service. There was no chance to ask our waitress any questions. On our way out we mentioned to the manager that our service was poor. Her comment was "Well, sometimes be are busy!" There was no attempt by the manager in the next few weeks to call us and reassurance that things would be better at our rehearsal dinner. I decided to cancel. I called the Ivy Inn and informed them of wanting to cancel. The girl took the message and asked for my telephone number. No one very called me.

My suggestion is not to use this place for important moments in your life. They don't seem to care!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Quiltdragon
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Went with the family for...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

Went with the family for Thanksgiving one year. Zach hated every minute of course!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Virginia
“Wonderful Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

I recently helped to celebrate my mother's birthday at the Ivy Inn. When we arrived we were presented with personalized menus with my mother's birthday beautifully displayed across the top. Next, we were presented with a complimentary glass of Champagne. The meal was perfectly paced and every course was delicious. I was especially impressed with dessert -- creme brulee surrounded by "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate. It was the perfect finishing touch to a very special occasion.

1 Thank VAMissA