“Doesn't get much better”

The Ivy Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ivy Road
Transit: No public transit
Description: Locally-Inspired Seasonal American Cuisine in an historic house originally built in 1789. Family owned business for 20+ years.
Reviewed May 6, 2013

After reading the reviews, we reserved a table for the 2 of us. The server was Alex. We consider ourselves sophisticated diners from New York. We weren't disappointed. Cooked exactly the way it should be. Every dish was prepared beautifully and the selections/choices were more than adequate. If there was a server's school, Alex would be the teacher. He offered his input, was pleasant, and surprised us with a treat when we couldn't make up our minds. This dining establishment could match up to the best of foodie cities like Charleston, New Orleans, and of course New York.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had noticed that the Ivy Inn had moved to #1 in TripAdvisor's Charlottesville restaurants. I have always liked it, but had not been there for a year or so and thought it was worth a visit. I was not disappointed. Food was excellent and the staff could not have been nicer. The salad, salmon, and every dish was perfectly prepared and delicious! Congratulations on keeping up the high standards.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

It's obvious why the Ivy has been on top in Charlottesville for so long. We were greeted warmly, and had excellent service throughout the evening. The atmosphere is comfortable without being stuffy.

Every dish was extremely tasty and nicely presented. My mushroom appetizer, and wife's grilled trout were the stars of the meal. Each plate had wonderful balance between the center and accompaniments. Instead of a large pork chop plopped on the plate, mine was nicely sliced and fanned out, yet was still plenty hot when brought to the table.

We were visiting from out of town, but if we did live closer this would be my go to place for a splurge dinner outing every time.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to dining here after all the great reviews. But the best I can say is that it was just an average place to eat. The ambiance was missing and the waitress although very friendly lacked knowledge of wine and did not seem to be experienced enough to be working there. After our order was taken the only service that we received was the food being brought to the table. We poured our own wine and refills on sparkling water. My wife felt that the interior was very dated. There was no background music in our room as there was in other parts of the restaurant. Fortunately we did not have to sit near the very loud child downstairs. With all of the excellent reviews that this place has received, I can only suppose that it must have been an off night.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were in town to visit Monticello and Ash-Lawn Highlands and decided to celebrate my MIL's 70th birthday here. There were six of us total, including our ten year old daughter. For starters, when I made the reservation the gentlemen on the phone asked me if there was any special occasion for the reservation and so I told him yes. When we arrived, the menus were printed on the top with a Happy Birthday (and my MIL's name). What a simple yet special gesture. The menu was outstanding. Everything was fresh, and as locally sourced as possible. Appetizers were all declared delicious. Entrees, the same. The lamb, served two ways, was to die for. I ate every bite on my plate. The same was said for the scallops and trout. Desserts were also fantastic-not a bite left on the plates either. The waitress, Jenny, was fantastic. They had a large party going on in the back but it certainly did not interfere with our experience in the least bit. We felt that given the food, ambience and service the value was more than acceptable! A fantastic restaurant and understandable as to why it is the top restaurant in Charlottesville!