“Outstanding lamb”

The Ivy Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ivy Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ivy Road
Transit: No public transit
Description: Locally-Inspired Seasonal American Cuisine in an historic house originally built in 1789. Family owned business for 20+ years.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We celebrated wife's birthday dinner here; they had menu printed that welcomed her for her special day. That was a nice touch, but the main attraction was the flavors and preparations of our meals. Great evening

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

we went to ivy with a party of 6 persons. everything was fresh, the service very kind. (specially francis) and the angus tenderloin was worldclass. the winelist fits perfect for a good dinner and the deserts are fantastic.

1  Thank Manu987
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I say "almost" perfect because I have been to better but this is definitely one of the best in Charlottesville that we have visited. I ordered "pork bellies" as an appetizer which I have to say would never have been a choice in another restaurant but I had to give it a try. So very happy I did. It was delicious. Tender and delightful. The lamb chops were beautifully presented and served exactly as I had ordered. Brussels sprouts!! Loved them. The chef prepared a vegan dish for one of our friends and she was very pleased.

The décor is elegant, romantic but casual and comfy. Service is impeccable. Everything you need but you have no idea when it arrived! No one interrupting your conversation. Some think it is pricy but you will walk away truly delighted and pleased you chose the Ivy Inn.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went to Charlottesville to get away for the weekend. Since it was a short trip, we only had time for one nice dinner so we chose the Ivy Inn, based primarily on Trip Advisor reviews. We read the not so favorable reviews, and while they did cause some concern, they were vastly outnumbered so we decided to give it a try.

It was a beautiful experience! The restaurant is located in a historic home. It is well decorated with romantic lighting. So many of the things that normally irritate me, simply weren't present at the Ivy Inn. For instance: the tables were spaced appropriately so that you had privacy for your own conversations as well as privacy from the conversations of those around you. There was romantic, low-lighting but not so low that you can't read the menu or see the food, the room temperature was very pleasant, the restroom was very clean and far away from the dining area, the noise level was low.

We were greeted as soon as we arrived and seated early. We had a very nice table, and our waiter (Christian) was superb. He was very well-versed on the menu and the wine. He answered all our questions and provided excellent suggestions for wine and entrees. Christian has a wonderful personality and a spirit of service that I'm sure will carry him far.

For appetizers, we had the sweet potato soup and the pasta. My husband would have preferred a bit more sauce/jus with it, but it was still delicious. The sweet potato soup was very unique; a puree served over black beans. It was a fascinating combination; very enjoyable.

For entrees, we had the Duet of Lamb and the Grilled Rag Mountain Trout. I had some concerns about the Duet of Lamb, such as how large a portion it would be, and how rare the lamb would be. Christian answered all my questions and encouraged to order it, so I did. It was so delicious! I still can't believe I ate it all. My husband ordered the trout and he raved about it all through dinner . . . on the drive home . . . and at breakfast the next day. He said it's the best trout he's ever had. And that's saying a lot because he's a fisherman and he's eaten a LOT of trout all over the U.S. and Canada.

For dessert we had the Sticky English Toffee Pudding. It was decadent and delicious. The perfect ending to a great meal.

It was a meal to remember. For those who had a less than stellar experience in their reviews of the Ivy Inn, I would encourage you to try it again.

1  Thank ljk73
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We booked a table for 8 to celebrate a friends birthday. When we arrived the table was ready and set perfectly. To our surprise they had printed special menus with the birthday boys name at the top of each. The evening only got better from there. The Duck foie gras appatiser was decadent and felt like a sin to eat. The rack of lamb was melt in your mouth and the seasoning was perfect. The lamb was accompanied by cream potatoes with what seemed like a hit of horse radish. Everything was fantastic. For desert the table got a variety of flan, bread pudding, and others. The salted caramel ice cream was a delight and went perfectly with desert. For wine we tried a mid priced Chardonnay that was good. The wine list was expansive and there was something from most price ranges.

1  Thank Phillip R