“Best sushi in Central VA!”
Review of Miyako Japanese Cuisine - CLOSED

Miyako Japanese Cuisine
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I can't even go to any other local sushi places now. It feels like a waste of money for a sub par product. The fish is fresh, you get more than decent portions for the price, and the chef is always looking for ways to improve the cuisine and often solicits feedback from customers. It is small and quiet which I appreciate. I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have eaten here close to 100 times and always enjoyed it. This is a hidden gem in the back of York Place that few people manage to find. It's small, but usually not crowded during the week and there is a seat open at sushi bar most of the time.

Mabu (the sushi chef) was always great and entertaining. I heard recently that he left, so I hope the quality/fun don't suffer.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

My brother and I stopped by here on a Friday night and it was busy, but there were a few empty tables. After waiting for a few minutes we spoke to the host who was also waiting tables. We asked for a table for 2 and the host looked skeptical. We could clearly see an empty table in the corner and another one where you sat on pillows with your shoes off. We asked about the table in the corner and the host replied that it was near the kitchen and we wouldn't want to sit there. We asked about the other table where you sit on pillows and he replied that we would need to take our oes off if we sat there. It wasn't a problem we replied. From the beginning we did not get a welcoming feeling from this server. It seemed like he was trying to discourage us from getting a table! We quickly took off our shoes and sat on the pillows at the table. We were handed menus and a sheet with specials that looked like a spreadsheet! Not very professional looking. The host/server did not take our drink order, which is fine since we had just been seated, and quickly left after giving us menus. We quickly scanned everything and picked out some drinks and food within 5 minutes. We waited another 20 minutes and the server never came to our table! Not for a drink order, not for anything. We were incensed to say the least. I quickly got up and scanned the restaurant and saw the server chatting with guests at another table but I couldn't establish eye contact. We got fed up and walked out. If we couldn't even place a drink order after waiting for 25 minutes, how long would we have to wait for the food? I freely acknowledge that I cannot rate or comment on the food, but the service we received was terrible. We did not feel welcome and the server made us feel like a burden from the moment we walked through the door.

2  Thank Roy R
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Excellent authentic Japanese food. The food is always delicious. Both chefs are Japanese.

1  Thank UvaJae
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband and I come here about once a week for sushi. Its consistently fresh and delicious. What I like about this place, is the sushi is straight up and simple. They are not trying to do anything too fancy which often back fires. If you sit at the bar, the chef is incredibly friendly and personable. The miso soup is light and delicate without being too salty. The fire cracker roll is a personal favorite with spicy tuna topped with red pepper flakes. Also, great is the green dragon roll with a hearty portion of eel and avocado drizzled with a tangy asian bbq sauce. Sashimi and Nigiri are always light and fresh. A great choice on the downtown mall for sushi!

1  Thank Annashapiro