“Blue Light Special” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Light Grill & Raw Bar - CLOSED

Blue Light Grill & Raw Bar
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd Street
Description: Located on Charlottesville's Downtown Mall, Blue Light Grill specializes in fresh oysters, seasonal seafood, craft cocktails, and local beers.
NYC
“Blue Light Special”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Waited only a short time for a table on a Saturday night. Bar area is pleasant for waiting and wine list and cocktail menu are nice. Great burger, and really really tasty mussels! Friendly and accommodating staff. Not much ambiance - but its comfortable and the noise level is manageable.

Visited October 2013

Charlottesville, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food, Bad Kitchen”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I generally enjoyed my time at Blue Light Grill, and I rarely ever take the time to write reviews, but there are a few things I would like to point out about my dining experience.

There was an excellent selection of specialty cocktails and our server (I think her name was Catherine?) was great. The food was nothing to write home about, but it was decidedly decent. I found that the service was attentive and our food came out fairly quickly. However, my meal was interrupted by the blatantly disrespectful gentleman with the arm tattoos working in the kitchen.

The open kitchen is a good idea since you get to see who/how/when your food is being made, but not when unruly staff members use such language as I heard coming from this one cook in particular. Blue Light should advise their employees that they are not alone, and they should consider the comfort of their diners. I was there on business, but the amount of crude language I heard made it nearly impossible to enjoy our conversation. I know that as a parent, I would never bring my wife or child back to this establishment.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Timothy B
BlueLightGrill, General Manager at Blue Light Grill & Raw Bar, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review and bringing this issue to our attention. On behalf of our kitchen staff, I'd like to apologize for their behavior. The offending employee is appalled by his own decorum as well as the representation of our restaurant. We hope you give us another chance despite his lapse in judgment.
NJ
“Great Oysters Great Service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Hi! We stopped in for some fresh oysters and a beer while visiting Charlottesville, so glad we did. The service was great and the oysters fresh and delicious! A must visit while in Charlottesville!

Visited November 2013
Virginia
“Great Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Visited here on a bust Friday night but had no problem getting seats. We were seated outside which is nice to get the full downtown experience.

The service was okay, nothing bad but nothing exceptional. Our server was friendly but perhaps not always available, understandable on busier nights. The food was excellent and came out fairly quickly. I was a little sticker shocked at first by the prices but the plates were piled high with delicious food. I had a burger with fries off the late night bar menu. The burger was cooked perfectly to order and it was a mountain of fries. It was well worth the price paid.

Overall it was great, just missing that little extra for a 5.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Richmond, Virginia
“delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Delicious food, pretty reasonably priced. They messed up one of the dishes in our party but were very apologetic, corrected it, and discounted our bill to make up for it. A very good experience. Also didn't give us a hard time about separate checks, which I appreciate.

Visited September 2013