“Really, really poor service...”
Review of Escafe' Restaurant

Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I'll begin on a positive note. We were a group of six out in downtown Charlottesville at 7:45 on a beautiful friday night with no reservation and the only place we could get in, was Escafe'. That should have been an indicator to us as to the quality of the place, but we were hungry and didn't give it a second thought. As for the food, I'd rate it average. Two of our group had the Black Bean burger and were quite disappointed...indicating that it had a peculiar taste. The rest of the food (grouper, shrimp and two fried chicken dinners), were simply OK. The big problem with the place was the service. I'm now reading other reviews and see that's a common thread among the posts. I suppose if we were sitting at the bar, our experience might have been different. We were sitting outside on the patio (nice night.) and were surprised at how NOT crowded the place was - even inside. It took awhile for our initial round of cocktails to arrive and even longer for our food. At one point, after we'd been there about 50 minutes, the owner came out to ask us how we enjoyed our meal. We looked at him and looked down at our empty places and said, what meal? He looked panicked and said he'd see what was taking so long. The waitress would ask one or two of us if we wanted another cocktail, but not the balance of the group. She'd just quickly walk away until those who hadn't spoken up quick enough called her back. Don't know where the hang up was, but at one point the bartender was bringing ou drinks out to us (and it wasn't like we were drinking that much - two rounds was it). It was just before 10 pm when we finally got out of there. Will not every go back...

Reviewed April 14, 2013

A beautiful, sunny spring day...lunch on the patio...sounds nice, doesn't it? Unfortunately, our afternoon brunch/luncheon at Escafe was anything but nice. My wife and I decided to stop here during our visit to Charlottesville and Monticello with my mom and step father. The service was terrible, and the food was only okay. The resaurant was not that busy, but I literally had to get up from the table to ask the status of our meal or ask for refills of our water not once, not twice, but three separate times. The only timely service was when we decided to pay the bill. The food was average at best, so it could not make up for the hideous service. We won't be returning.

1  Thank elpndj
Reviewed March 3, 2013

After reading some tepid online reviews here, I really feel the need to post a positive review. I'm from an area with regular access to high quality food, and wasn't expecting much in this area. That being said, I was extremely satisfied with my food and experience. There was a timing issue which was very well explained, and I was at the bar for the long haul anyway so i didn't care. The sauteed calamari was very nice and presented well. I also very much enjoyed my vegetarian lasagna. I'm surprised some people on here criticized the side salad. If you don't like a certain ingredient in there I understand, but it was very well made. It tasted wonderful, was well presented, and I would never expect to get something that excellent as an included side salad. Overall, my meal was excellent, and very affordable for the quality/quantity.

I didn't notice the price, but my drinks were excellent and of good size. Bartenders did a great job managing the huge crowd at night. Excellent food, excellent drinks, good service, and I really liked the people who hangout here. If I lived in the Charlottesville area, I'd be a regular! Thanks for a good time!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The biggest problem I had here was deciding which item on the menu to have. Everything looked good and the advice from other patrons sitting near me didn't help - they all had something different and all loved what they were eating. I started with a delicious cup of potato soup and my main course was a massive veggie lasagna. They were making it several different ways and I chose it with squash. It was wonderful. Shortly after I ordered, the owner walked by, noticed the wine I was drinking and we began talking about the menu and wine pairings. He recommended - and I'll try - the duck when I'm back in Charlottesville.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stopped by Escafe for a Sunday brunch and was certainly not as impressed by it as I was the last time I was there. Well I did ask if I could get an egg white omelette. That was too much for them. They claimed they had no eggs--only egg mix. I guess it is too much to ask for a kitchen to have two eggs. Waffles? No, not that day either. Judging from the crowd (or to be more precise, the lack of a crowd), Sunday is not their big day. I guess I learned my lesson. With the number of restaurants on the downtown mall, one should try any one of those first. Sorry, Escafe, but I won't be back.

1  Thank ProfessorCharles