“Doesn't look like much, but what a great surprise!”
Review of Bizou

Bizou
Ranked #21 of 553 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Doesn't look like much, but what a great surprise!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I went to Bizou for lunch and wow, it was good! It doesn't look like much from the front window, which is very narrow, but when you walk to the back it's fun and funky! Kind of old timey diner meets a bistro. I had the lobster, shrimp salad sandwich which was very good with lots of chunks of lobster and shrimp, nice crunchy diced onions and peppers and not too much mayo. It was on a really good roll and served with a little salad (nice vinaigrette!) and some yummy fries!! My co-worker got the meatloaf platter which I will definitely try next time, but since the sandwich was a special I wanted to get that. The meatloaf platter is big and has thick pieces of meatloaf with smashed potatoes! He says that it's his favorite to eat there. Our waiter was really nice (as was all the staff) and very attentive. Cannot wait to go back!!

• Visited July 2013

Arlington, Virginia
“Almost a 5”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I went here for her birthday. The food was great. They have some interesting twists on some pretty basic cuisine. My wife had the small bleu salad and said it was very good. She then had the small seafood pasta and said it was "pretty good." She had the small portions and they seemed to compliment each other well. I had the catfish quesidilla and it was very good. I also followed that up with a Makers Mark for $8 which is a pretty decent price for an after dinner drink. We both shared the chocolate bread putting and it was excellent. They have great outside seating on the mall.

• Visited July 2013
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“bizou”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Small, eclectic place with outside seating. Food was excellent, the majority of us opted for the evening special of crab cake and soft shelled crab sandwich. Appetizers were tasty, beer and wine selections are sufficient. Desert menu was also very good. The menu had plenty of options for vegetarians. Menu is available on line. We would eat here again.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“A very pleasant evening”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Dined at Bizou with friends. Fortunately, the rain had stopped and we were able to sit outside. Have been here a number of times and have never been disappointed. Two of us had the hanger steak, one the pork chop, and I had the old fashioned meat loaf. All four meals were outstanding. We split two appetizers, a trout salad and catfish quesadillas. Also excellent. Our server was attentive, giving us good advice as well as time to enjoy our drinks and appetizers. A very good dining choice on Charlottesville's downtown mall.

Greenwood, Virginia
“Anniversary Dinner on the Patio”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My fiance and I ate at Bizou last night for our seventh anniversary. We sat out on the patio under an umbrella. The hostess and our server were both very attentive throughout our dining experience. When my fiance asked the hostess to bring the beer menu back to us, she promptly carried the menu over and opened it to the appropriate page before handing it to him. They had a good selection of local wine and local bottled beers, and told us that they're currently talking about having a couple draft beers put in. For dinner, I started out with the small version of the Bleu salad. It was absolutely delicious. He started out with the special soup, which chilled pureed roasted vegetables. It was absolutely delicious. For the entree, I got the smaller size of the butternut squash ravioli. I loved that they offered some of their dishes in full size, and smaller size. The ravioli had a butter sauce, which wasn't my favorite, but the ravioli was absolutely amazing. He got the special, which was a med-rare NY Strip with some kind of onions and gravy/sauce, along with bacon and cheese wrapped asparagus, and a roasted potato. He loved it. He said it was one of the best meals he had ever had. For dessert, we got a slice of bourbon infused vanilla bean cheesecake with caramel sauce. It was the best cheesecake I've ever had -- but it wasn't on the menu -- I heard one of the servers describing it to another table and asked our server about it later. All in all, a delicious dinner. LOTS of vegetarian options, too, which you can't always find on the downtown mall. There's usually something (as in, one thing) on the menu for a vegetarian, but at Bizou, I had a lot of contenders.

1 Thank Leigh W