“A very pleasant evening”
Review of Bizou

Bizou
Ranked #17 of 567 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Dined at Bizou with friends. Fortunately, the rain had stopped and we were able to sit outside. Have been here a number of times and have never been disappointed. Two of us had the hanger steak, one the pork chop, and I had the old fashioned meat loaf. All four meals were outstanding. We split two appetizers, a trout salad and catfish quesadillas. Also excellent. Our server was attentive, giving us good advice as well as time to enjoy our drinks and appetizers. A very good dining choice on Charlottesville's downtown mall.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My fiance and I ate at Bizou last night for our seventh anniversary. We sat out on the patio under an umbrella. The hostess and our server were both very attentive throughout our dining experience. When my fiance asked the hostess to bring the beer menu back to us, she promptly carried the menu over and opened it to the appropriate page before handing it to him. They had a good selection of local wine and local bottled beers, and told us that they're currently talking about having a couple draft beers put in. For dinner, I started out with the small version of the Bleu salad. It was absolutely delicious. He started out with the special soup, which chilled pureed roasted vegetables. It was absolutely delicious. For the entree, I got the smaller size of the butternut squash ravioli. I loved that they offered some of their dishes in full size, and smaller size. The ravioli had a butter sauce, which wasn't my favorite, but the ravioli was absolutely amazing. He got the special, which was a med-rare NY Strip with some kind of onions and gravy/sauce, along with bacon and cheese wrapped asparagus, and a roasted potato. He loved it. He said it was one of the best meals he had ever had. For dessert, we got a slice of bourbon infused vanilla bean cheesecake with caramel sauce. It was the best cheesecake I've ever had -- but it wasn't on the menu -- I heard one of the servers describing it to another table and asked our server about it later. All in all, a delicious dinner. LOTS of vegetarian options, too, which you can't always find on the downtown mall. There's usually something (as in, one thing) on the menu for a vegetarian, but at Bizou, I had a lot of contenders.

1  Thank Leigh W
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Bizou many times -- in nice weather, outside seating provides a view of the parade of people on the downtown mall; inside has the charm of a 1930's diner. The service is almost always excellent and the food always so. The lunch and dinner specials offer interesting combinations -- but, I find it hard to get beyond the classic meatloaf, smashed garlic potatoes, greens and corn bread. Portions are appropriate. Prices are not cheap, but reasonable given what is typical for restaurants on the mall. They also serve Fentimans -- a remarkable ginger beer brewed in Canada. When thinking of a lunch on the mall, Bizou always comes first to our minds.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I absolutely love this small bistro style restaurant on the Downtown Mall in Charlottesviille. The food is always excellently prepared, with some old favorites that are always available and a rotation of locally sourced specials. The portion sizes are perfect. The service is friendly and just right--no hovering, but the wait staff is there when you need them. I am particularly fond of the roasted half chicken and smashed potatoes--comfort food if I ever saw it. My husband in a recent visit had local mountain trout lightly breaded in panko crumbs and perfectly seasoned. The desserts are fabulous--too bad I seldom have room left!

1  Thank Anne G
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We sat outside and it was a beautiful day. The drinks were good but the appetizers were ok. I liked the strawberry mojito, nicely done not too sweet.

1  Thank tikihutmom