“Not a great experience”
Review of Fleurie Restaurant

Fleurie Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Fleurie Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2010

I dined at Fleurie this evening, March 16th, 2010. I am surprised this restaurant rated so high; the glowing reviews tendered by others was not the same as my experience.

Without belaboring all the disappointments, I can say the service was very slow, even for fine dining (we arrived at 7:30 and were not eating entrees until after 8:30). I ordered a lobster with cream sauce over noodles. The noodles and sauce were excellent; the lobster was tough and pricey. My friend ordered herbed chicken, which was on the dry side and not very tasty. The green beans were very nice. They gave us a complementary dessert for his birthday, which was a lovely touch.

We ordered a cheese plate appetizer. This is what it was- cheeses on a plate. Some crackers would have been nice. On the side they gave us a couple of dried apricots and raisins. Seemed spartan.

The wine list was extensive. My glass of pinot grigio ($10) was not introduced or explained. Our server was neither especially friendly or knowledgeable.

Not a total loss, but for $120, I definitely will not return.

1  Thank josmit

Reviewed January 1, 2010

We tend to save this wonderful French-influenced restaurant for special occasions--new year's eve, anniversaries--but there's no reason not to indulge more often. The sophistication of the menu, preparation, and setting belie the small-town setting, but after all Charlottesville isn't what it was 25 or more years ago, and is now a serious food scene. Recommended without hesitation.

Reviewed November 22, 2009

Excellent food, great French wine list

1  Thank Velotraveler
Reviewed November 4, 2009

My husband and I ate at Fleurie October 30th and everything was wonderful! We'd been to Fleurie once before and had an amazing dinner so we were very pleased to have been impressed again.
We had very attentive service and felt comforted by the knowledgeable staff regarding menu and ingredients. My husband had the shrimp risotto to start; which was so good. I enjoyed the lobster bisque, which was not what I was expecting (it was a little more soupy than bisque-y), but was also very good. For dinner we had steak and seared scallops. The scallops were big and very tasty but the winner was definitely the beef. We tried to finish it all but simply could not do it, as the portions were a hearty size.
Also, the wine menu is extensive and well thought out. We enjoyed a 2006 Chateu Montelena Zinfandel that was heavenly.
Overall this restaurant is a great option for a romantic and/or special occasion. The meal will be pricey but is worth every penny. We look forward to our next visit to Fleurie.

Reviewed May 30, 2009

I've been a head chef in upscale, food focused restaurants for twenty years and very passionate about great food, I love it all, from good pit BBQ to foie gras. Fleurie is my restaurant of choice every year for my birthday (if I'm in Charlottesville), and I dine there when ever I'm feeling spendy for a night out.
The atmosphere is as good as it gets for a small restaurant, in a small town...it's subtle and elegant.

The service is good, if you expect better in a small college town you expect too much...be realistic, this isn't a food TV show, and it's not Northern California, Paris, or New York, it's the downtown mall in Charlottesville, the service is respectable and commendable, they actually put forth the effort, and exceed realistic expectations.
The food is far better than one one would expect from such a small town and is of the most admirable quality. Again, let's all be realistic, this is a tiny restaurant, with a tiny kitchen....they are putting out great food...period.

Fluerie is THE place to have a great elegant meal in Charlottesville.