“Slow Service, nice atmosphere, good food.”
Review of Vivace

Vivace
Ranked #58 of 556 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Vivace Restaurant, located on Ivy Road near the University Of Virginia , opened its doors in July of 1995. Housed in the former main quarters of a peach orchard, Vivace attracts patrons with its diverse atmosphere. From the cozy intimate upstairs, which hints at the comfort and ease of Nona's home, to the vast expanse of our multi-tiered outdoor terrace, the ambiance at Vivace appeals to all. The 1940s hand-crafted serpentine bar in the lounge provides a festive setting for the light-hearted. For the romantic, enjoy a glass of wine by our inviting fireplace. From the moment you arrive, you'll discover that Vivace is full of Italian charm. Our unique decor and old family photos will transport you to a quaint Italian village, creating a welcoming atmosphere. Providing authentic entrees has been our primary goal for the past eighteen years.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I ate at this restaurant with my mother-in-law for dinner. It was late at night and not very busy so we figured we wouldn't be there very long. We were wrong - it took over an hour to get our food and we didn't have any appetizers. We didn't think it would take this long because a couple that was seated RIGHT before us had ordered, ate and left and we STILL waited 30min for our food. Our food was very good and wasn't cold - surprisingly.

Our server was very helpful and nice - she was super busy waiting tables and in between that she was cleaning and doing everything else. I don't know how she wasn't tired haha.

The view outside is really nice and relaxing - we almost didn't stop because it looked too fancy and expensive but it's really not expensive. The view is of the main road but overall it's a really nice restaurant and if I'm ever in the area again I plan to go back there with my husband.

1  Thank Chris B
There are newer reviews for Vivace

Reviewed August 18, 2012

The bar/lounge of this restaurant is quite simply the best place in town to relax and unwind after a long day! The ambiance provides that element so sadly lacking in most American establishments--the local watering hole. There is comfortable seating and the space is roomy. The bartenders are superb! Peyton makes the best bloody Mary in Charlottesville. The service is excellent and personal. I also love the Old World feel of the restaurant, and the outdoor patio, festooned with lights, is simply magical. The food is always predictably good and occasionally well beyond good for some of the specials. My only reluctance in writing this review is that of giving away the secret to my favorite place to go, but they deserve the recognition!

Reviewed July 6, 2012

My family and I really enjoyed ourselves. I love the ambiance of the restaurant especially the bar lounge area. When we arrived to Vivace we had a short cocktail hour at the bar and then were seated upstairs. We selected the second group menu (mainly because of the Ravioli which is delicious!) and bottles of wine months prior to the wedding. When we sat down we were really excited about the printed out menus with our names on it- made it very special for us. Everyone really enjoyed their time and the food. There was 22 of us. We were bummed at first that the only dessert option was ice cream but it was really good!

We recommended this to other guests who stayed that weekend for our wedding. They didn't have so much of a good time. They are Italian so perhaps they judge hard.

Overall I recommend this to someone who wants an intimate wedding rehearsal.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I love this place. It is a little off the beaten path, but well worth it. The food is so delicious. I love the shrimp scampi, the mussel appetizer and the chicken picatae. I have never been disappointed with either the meal, the staff or the ambiance. I would definitely recoemmend this spot to friends. When my family visits, I always take them here. they have food for all kinds of eaters, those with a more daring palate and also those who like the safe stand-bys. They have a nice wine list. In good weather, the patio is great. I love the authentic atmosphere. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The bar area is beautiful with an awesome curved bar. I definitely recommend this place, reasonable priced enough for everyday dinner, but fancy enough for a nice date out.

1  Thank kristinawm
Reviewed May 15, 2012

The outdoor seating is very enjoyable although it can get pretty crowded on a nice summer evening. We prefer outside to inside although inside is fine.

The food has an Italian orientation and is fairly well done. I can only remember one entree I wasn't satisfied with. They once had excellent tuna but I haven't seen it offered the last few visits.

The wine selection is fine.

I've never had an issue with service which has always been fine. The owner is often present and seems to be very much on top of things.