“Another satisfying visit”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Virginian will continue to be a place we go back to when visiting Charlottesville - the food and local beer have always been tasty and comforting. We do enjoy the Mac & cheese, and this time it was better than the last when it seemed just okay. Tonight it was perfect. Our dinners were brought out quickly and were excellent and the Devils Backbone Vienna lager is great. Just a nice place to visit. The bartender makes you feel like a long lost friend, and the staff is friendly and efficient. Two for two, so we'll definitely be back.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stopped by here while we were on the road. Brought back memories from forty years ago. Food was good - reasonable selection beyond the typical college fare, but the fact that the six page menu devoted 3 pages to wine, beer, etc. tells me the emphasis is not on the food. However, the fried chicken was excellent, and the other dishes were good. Will consider going back, if only for nostalgia reasons. Service was very good, staff friendly and attentive.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I read reviews for this restaurant on urbanspoon and thought we would try it since we had a guest staying with us for the night. The location gives it its flare not the food. Our waitress was okay. She was very friendly but flighty, which wasn't a huge deal. She made a pretty big deal about the "world famous mac n cheese" however she forgot to bring it to us after we ordered it. They did bring it our later and I wish they didn't because it was soupy bland alfredo-like pasta. How it became world famous is beyond me. For the hype the other reviews online gave this place I was unhappy that it wasn't more inspiring. The same can be said for all the food we ate. We had apple bourbon chicken, crab cakes, and the sun-dried tomato pasta.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a reasonably priced restaurant early on the evening of our arrival in Charlottesville and went here on the recommendation of the hotel clerk. Its a narrow restaurant with a bar down one side and plywood bench booths down the other. The restaurant was pretty full but not overly noisy. We got the two dollar rail drinks which were on special and were served by the bartender. For food we got the club sandwich and the crab cake sandwich. Both were quite good. The club sandwich was huge and I took half of it with me. Our check was about $30 with drinks.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Typical College Bar, Waitress was very friendly and helpful with info on the local area, hamburger was fair but the Stumble Down Mac n Cheese is great. I'm sure its a mad house here when school is in session but we enjoyed the experience. My thought is that if you are a Wahoo 70% of the allure of the place is the memories made here, but it your not a UVA grad its still worth the trip.