“Lovely meal”

Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2006

My fiancee and I just had dinner at the C&O last night for the fourth or fifth time. It's by far our favorite place to have a romantic dinner in C-ville; granted, it was the site of our first date, so we're somewhat biased--but even so, with the wood fireplace, the cozy nooks, the extensive and unique wine list, and the always fantastic and reasonably priced food, it's hard to beat. Last night our waitress advised us against a particular Pinot Noir that other customers had recently complained about (perhaps even the customer who wrote the review below). We chose a Cote-du-Rhone instead and were glad we did. It may not be the fastest service, but the C&O is not a place you should be in a hurry to leave anyway (despite the fact that it is an old railroad station). If eating in the summer or early fall, I'd highly recommend eating on the covered patio (try to avoid downstairs by the bar, where it gets crowded and noisy).

5  Thank professorH
There are newer reviews for C & O Restaurant

Chalottesville, VA
Reviewed March 26, 2006

I usually enjoy this bistro-esque atmosphere as a late night staple because of their delicious paninis and curious selection of vino. However, on my latest excursion to the C&O I was completely disappointed with the quality of both my wine and midnight snack.

Our server was pleasant but she steered me oh so very wrong when it came to my drink order. I am a huge fan of red wine and love to try new things, but when she told me that the Pinot Noir was "good," and then it tasted like grape soda and the smell of Chambourd, I was unenthused to say the least.

Got my sandwich to go because my boyfriend had to get up early, thinking that the salad that came with my turkey panini would have dressing on the side. No one likes a soggy salad, right? Au contraire, mon cheri! Opened up my foil box of anticipated delight only to find a soggy salad and a limp sandwich. Wasn't picky at this point, just disappointed that I paid $20 too much for a crappy $8 glass of wine and a soggy panini with tip.

Moral of my story: Always sample the wine before you order and never, ever take your gripes out on your server by jipping on the tip just because you didn't ask for dressing on the side. However, do tell your server about your lackluster experience so you don't end up writing about it on a stupid e-rate site.
Bon appetit!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
charlottesville
Reviewed January 28, 2006

My wife and I went to C & O very recently and were quite excited to go as it has a huge reputation. By the time we left we both agreed it would be very doubtful that we would eat there again. Be warned the service is very, very slow. Our meal took 3 hours from start to finish. It is pricey and the food has a big reputation, but we found it to be no better than any of the other venues in downtown charlottesville. In our opinion, you can eat cheaper, better, faster and in a more attractive restaraunt (It is very dingy and dark) at numerous places in the immediate walking area.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 26, 2005

My wife and I like to visit restaurants on vacation that appear to be unique in some way. Well, the C & O restaurant is quite unique! You are greeted with a fire in the old wood stove (the smell takes me back to my grandparents house). Farther inside you see the remnants (including the original exposed brick of the old C & O railroad worker flophouse) of an era a generation ago. Once seated, however, your experience has just begun. My wife and I both got the flank steak which was absolutely AMAZING! I have never had a better (non-filet) beef dish. I could cut the meat with my fork! Awesome- we will return on our next trip to Charlottesville!

8  Thank CookFamilyPharmacists
Port Clinton, Ohio
Reviewed August 20, 2005

I ate there while travelling in 1986....19 yrs ago...I assume the location is the same. It was 5 o'clock on a weekday and we had parked the car and were unsure of where to eat, so I asked a well dressed gentleman on the street who recommended it and said "Don't let that Pepsi sign fool you, this is a great place."
Our first hint of a fine restaurant was fresh flowers on each table and a great glass of house wine. My gal and I were amazed at the quality and presentation of the food that came out of a small downstairs kitchen.
We took a picture out in front under the sign afterward.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member